Chapter 1

Divergent Fanfic: Love is War

Sometimes I think about when I chose. When I was too old to rely on my old faction but too young to decide where to live for the rest of my life.

Sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision.

But I know that I did. Because Tobias told me everything. That he would have run away if I hadn't come here. To Dauntless. To him. And every day, I wonder what I will learn today, whether it be about my new faction or about Tobias or about my best friend, Christina. Sometimes I wonder if I will learn nothing at all.

It's nice to think about myself for once.

Though I've been in Dauntless for three years now, I still hang onto my Abnegation tendencies. Tobias, on the other hand, seems to have adopted Dauntless ones-the old Dauntless, of course.

This morning, I wake up and feel Tobias get out of bed. Slowly, very slowly. As if he was injured.

I open my eyes groggily and see a big purple scar run down Tobias's back. I immediately jump up and say "Tobias!" He spins around quickly, revealing more scratches on his chest.

"Jesus," he mutters, searching the floor. He picks up a black shirt with short sleeves. "I need to start sleeping in a shirt." I frown at him and tousle his hair.

"No," I say slowly, letting it sink in, "you need to stop getting into fights."

"They're not fights," he says quietly, sitting down on the edge of the bed. He winces.

"Yes they are," I say. "Peter isn't going to stop yelling at me, and hitting me, and trying to-"

"Stop," he says, looking me in the eye. "I don't want to hear what he does to you." Then Tobias presses his lips to mine. I close my eyes and allow him to kiss me, my neck, my lips. And I pull away.

"You have to stop doing that," I whisper, tying to hide a smile.

"What?" he asks. I can hear him smile as he talks, even though I'm not looking at him.

"Go take a shower," I mutter, and he chuckles and gets up. I sigh. He has to learn that Peter isn't going to stop being an idiot. I run a hand through my hair and quickly dress into black jeans and a tank top. It's black, too. Of course.

"I'll be back," I call over the water. I hear the steady stream of the shower stop, and I quickly leave our room. I smile when I think about it. Our room. I moved in with Tobias a few weeks ago.

I mainly left to go watch the new initiates come in. Today is Choosing Day, after all.

I look at the Dauntless-borns, wondering what it would be like to have a kid. Christina and Will had their first only a few months ago. I've been a little too nervous to ask Tobias. I guess some fears never go away completely.