Chapter 20

A/N: I'm not sure how many chapters I want to make this.  I love writing it, but I don't know if I should start writing something else, or maybe write a sequel to this.  I really want your opinions.  I might just wrap this story up in ten more chapters... it's up to you guys! :)

I look at the tattoo on the inside of my right wrist, smiling at it. 

6.

Just one little number that defines me.  I glance over at Tobias and see him smiling down at his wrist, too.  He got a on his left wrist.

"There," I say, as Tori bandages it up.  "Now we'll always be connected," I say, slipping my right hand into Tobias's left one.  Both of our bandages rub against each other, and I giggle.  This is one of the few things we've done in the past few days that actually signifies our relationship plowing forward.

"Let's go to the food court," Tobias says, dragging me away from the tattoo parlor.  It's weird to think that I postponed the wedding only four hours ago.

Tobias runs over to some fast-food restaurant, and I grab us a table.  It takes him about three minutes before he hurries back with two hamburgers.  I giggle again, remembering the first time I tried one.

"Well, someone's in a good mood," he says, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"Gee, I wonder why," I taunt.  "It can't be the fact that my fiancé and I got matching tattoos, now, can it?" I ask.  Tobias laughs, then unwraps my burger and holds it near my mouth.  Instead of biting it, I grab it and use my free hand to flick him in the forehead.  It feels so good to just be carefree again.  I wish it could always be like this.

***

I collapse onto the bed, dramatically placing a hand on my stomach.

"If I eat any more, my stomach will explode," I moan, and Tobias jumps on top of me.

"Oh, then I guess you won't want any..." he pulls out a chocolate bar from his back pocket and waves it in my face.  "Chocolate?"

I scream-laugh as he unwraps it and wiggles it in front of my face.  I've never seen Tobias act like this.  I think we're both worn down to the point of breaking, and it's easier to laugh than to cry.

I knock the chocolate out of his hand and all of a sudden, there is nothing in between us.  I stare into his eyes and he stares back, and then I pull his lips to mine.

We kiss for awhile, but I have to break it.

"No," I sigh.

"What?" he asks, running a hand through his short hair.

"It's just... confusing," I finally say.  "I want to marry you, and then I don't, and then I do again."  Tobias stares into my eyes.

"If you can't decide on the spot right now what you want, then it's best to wait until you can," he tells me sternly.  It must pain him to say those words, because he wants to marry me ten times more than I will ever know.

"Okay," I say.  Then I repeat myself.  "Okay."

I know what I said, and I have to stick to my word.  Besides, getting married makes no difference.  It won't make me love him even more.  And we wouldn't ever cheat on each other, married or not.

Today was what it was like before.  And I realize now how much we'll have to sacrifice to be together in the end.

But I'm fully prepared for what will come ahead.