Chapter 18

I lie in bed, unmoving, as Tobias pulls the covers up to his chin.  Slowly, he turns to face me, his eyes reflecting in the moonlight.  I haven't spoken all day, and I don't plan on speaking for the rest of the night.

"Look, Tris," he says.  "We can always try again.  This was our first time."

"That's not the point," I mutter, deciding to defend myself.

"Then what is?" he asks.  I frown at him.

"The point is that we could have tried, and maybe if we had done something different, it would have worked... and we'd be parents..."

"You don't know what you want yet," Tobias reassures me, cupping my cheek with his hand.  He leans in to kiss me, but I force myself away from him.  The last thing I need is for him to confuse me again.

"You're right," I whisper.  "Which is why..."  I think about it for a moment.  The thought just sprang into my head... but no.

"Why what?" he asks, searching my expression.  I smile at him, swallowing my words.

"Nothing," I say in an offhand way.  "I was just rambling.  Now, maybe we can try again... but not now.  Okay?"

There is a long pause, almost too long, when he nods.  "Okay, Tris."

I turn around and try to keep my breaths steady.  I can't believe what I wanted to say.

"Which is why... we should call the wedding off."

I fall asleep with those six unspoken words floating around in my mind.