Chapter 22

I walk near the chasm, my mind finally clear.  Or, at least, clearer than it has been for days.  Tobias hasn't started any fights.  Peter has been gone for a couple of days, and I'm not sad to say that I don't miss him.  And, furthermore, Christina has talked to me about not being pregnant, and assured me that I can always try again.

So maybe life is looking up a little.

I feel something buzz in my pocket, and I nearly jump.  I quickly reach into my sweater and pull out my pager.  I got it because I was an instructor, and lately I've been using it to talk to Tobias.

Where are you? it reads.  I smile as I see it's from Tobias.

At the chasm, I reply, why?

I wait a few minutes before he responds.

Come home.  I have a suprise.

I smile, roll my eyes, and walk towards the direction of our house.  I feel so giddy because I have no weight on my shoulders, and I want to just jump up and hug someone.  Hell, I will.

I sprint home and run into the house, knowing that it's unlocked because Tobias always forgets to lock it when he gets inside.

I expect to run into his arms right away, so my eyes are confused by the darkness.  I blink a couple of times before the candles' lights come into focus.  I see Tobias lying on the bed, holding a boquet of flowers.

"Hey, fiancée," he says in a soft voice, and suddenly, I know that having the wedding is the right thing to do.  So I say it back to him.

He pats the spot next to him on the bed, and I climb onto it, snuggling under the covers.  It's the middle of the day, but all I want to do is sleep here, knowing he's right next to me, ready to protect me.

"I love you," he mutters.  I smile.

"You, too," I say softly.  He crawls under the covers with me and just holds me, cradling me, enveloping me in his arms.

"What's all this about?" I ask with a giggle.

"You were right," he whispers into my hair.

"About what?" I whisper back.

"We should spend more time together.  No time like the present."  He then proceeds to give me a slight squeeze-- a reassuring hug, reminding me that this is all happening, and he's actually in love with me.  Well, I love him, too.

I wrap my leg around him, and that is how we fall asleep: two beings welded together as one.

I love you, Tobias Eaton, I think as I fall asleep.  I love you.