Chapter 2

Will looks at the transfers carefully, guiding them down the paths of the Pit. "Now," he says, "you see the Pit. Very dangerous. Very efficient. Ad very useful. Just make sure that you don't fall off."

"How could we fall off?" asks a Candor initiate. Will raises an eyebrow.

"Someone could push you," he says quietly, "or you could fall from your own stupidity." The Candor boy narrows his eyes but keeps his mouth shut.

I walk up to Will, tired of listening to them from afar. He smiles at me.

"What?" he asks with a smile. I shrug.

"Just wanted to see the transfers," I reply. An Amity girl peers at us. Amity? An Amity-Dauntless transfer?

"Who are you?" she asks loudly. I glance at Will.

"First jumper," Will says in a loud voice. "First-ranking initiate. Abnegation transfer." A flash of recognition registers in the Amity girl's eyes.

"Tris Prior?" she says in awe. I feel uncomfortable.

"Bye, Will," I mutter. Then I turn to the transfers. "And good luck. To all of you." I duck away, walking down the Pit.

Why? Why am I so afraid of being recognized in a positive way?

I don't know.

I continue down and sit at the bottom, looking up at the people walking so close to death.

We are Dauntless.

We are brave.