Chapter One: The New House

As soon as I arrived in Chicago, I dug my phone out from my bag and dialled my brother. He immediately answered in the first ring. “You’re alive, thank God,” he said, relieved.

I laughed. “How are you so sure I’m still Rebecca and not just a random stranger?”

“Wait, you’re not Rebecca?” he gasped, feigning to be surprised. “Where’s my sister and what did you do to her?!”

I laughed again. Michael wanted to come with me in Chicago, saying he doesn’t want anything to happen to me during the flight. But I convinced him it’s just a waste of my time and I promised him I’m going to call him as soon as I landed. Sometimes it’s really cute when he gets overprotective with me.

“Well, I’ll look for…” I said, and then looked over at the paper that I was holding, “…Mrs. Martha Thornton. She’s the owner of the dorm I’m going to stay in.”

“Are you sure there are no boys over there?”

I sighed. “Yes. Mr. Hoffman assured me it’s a girl dormitory.”

“Okay, that’s reassuring to hear,” he sighed. “Well, I’ll Skype with you tonight. For now, I have to go! I have a meeting.” Then I heard someone giggle at the background - a female.

I smirked to myself, even though my brother couldn't see me. "Meeting? Really?"

He laughed nervously. "Bye, Rebecca." 

I hung up and let out a sigh. Well, this was it. On my right hand, I was holding my suitcase and on the other was my stroller. Around me, I can see people hugging and talking about how long they haven’t seen each other. I searched for a woman who might look in her late fifties but found no one. She was supposed to be here. With an angry huff, I was about to give up when I suddenly felt a tap behind me.

I turned around and saw a woman in her early forties. She smiled at me brightly, showing off her perfect teeth. “Are you Rebecca Georges?” she asked.

I nodded, returning her smile with a shy one from me. “Yes. You must be Mrs. Martha Thornton.”

“Call me Martha. Sorry I arrived late, my car wasn’t starting. My daughter must have used it and hit something,” she muttered, shaking her head. “So… how about we go now? You must be so hungry! We’ve prepared a big lunch for you as a welcome party!”

Martha helped me with my suitcase and together we walked out of the airport. Martha seemed nice and I hope the other girls back in the dorm would be just as nice. I don't know what I would do if they weren't.

“So, what brings you here in Chicago?” she asked, grinning at me. “You say you come from New York.”

I nodded. “I just wanted to have a new life,” I quickly made up. Mr. Hoffman told me I shouldn’t tell anyone that I’m guarding his son. The only people who should know were Oliver and his friends. They do know I’m coming, but I will only meet him tomorrow. They don’t know I’m a girl and I’m seventeen, though.

“You say that you’re seventeen. Hmm… you must be the youngest in the dorm,” Martha said conversationally.

“Really? How old are the other girls?” I asked as I went in Martha’s old Jeep.

Martha placed my stuff inside the trunk and then sat down on the driver’s seat. “Sorry, what did you say?” she asked, fastening her seatbelt.

“How old are the other girls?” I repeated.

“Well, my daughter is twenty-four and she works as a writer. This other girl, Dianna, she’s a waitress in the nearby diner and I think she’s nineteen. She’s saving up for her college tuition. And Thalia is twenty-one. She’s in college, studying to be a singer and actress,” Martha explained.