Chapter Twenty-Two: The Brother's Reaction

“Seriously, you two are the most disgusting couple I’ve ever met,” Chris announced suddenly.

I broke out from my kiss with Oliver and laughed nervously. “Uh, sorry, what did you say?”

He just raised his eyebrows. “See what I mean?” he said, throwing his hands for emphasis, making everyone in our table laugh.

“Man, I’m the only one here in this table that doesn’t have a girlfriend!” Luke complained, shaking his head.

Eric smirked. “If you could stop your player ways, then somebody might just fall for you.”

Luke feigned a surprised expression. “Don’t go falling in love with me, Eric. Your girlfriend would beat me up,” he said dramatically.

Lavender just rolled her eyes but there was a smile on her face.

It was kind of weird that we were on one table. Lavender and Eric were on the other side, whispering to each other while eating lunch. Chris and Jane were beside them, laughing and talking with Luke, who still doesn’t have a serious girlfriend. And Oliver and I were enjoying each other’s company by making out.

Seriously, I’ve turned into that kind of girl who makes out with her boyfriend every waking moment. I wasn’t this kind of girl before and I was certainly not this kind of girl when I was dating Eric. Something about dating Oliver just seemed perfect… and right.

“Come on, let’s get out of here,” Oliver whispered on my ear.

I smiled and turned to look at him. “Why? Don’t you enjoy our friends’ company?”

“Of course I do. It’s just… I’d be much more entertained if I’m left alone with you.”

Despite myself, I blushed. It’s been a week since we’ve been together and he kept saying sweet and crappy stuff like that one. A month earlier it’d make me puke. But now, it was making me blush like there’s no tomorrow. “Where can we go?” I asked quietly, my voice not betraying my excitement.

“Anywhere you like,” he said, smiling.

My eyes lit up. “Library?”

“Anywhere that you and I like.”

My shoulders sagged. “The library is quite nice.”

“We both know that if you find a good book and start to read, then you’d forget all about me,” he said, pouting at me like he was a small child. “Can we just go to the mall or something like that? I’d buy you anything you like.”

I gave him a look. “Seriously, Oliver, I don’t need you to buy me stuff. But… as a matter of fact, my birthday’s going to be next week.”

Oliver raised an eyebrow. “You’re not messing with me, are you?”

“And why the hell would I be messing with you?” I shot back.

“Okay, okay, Rebecca. Who told you? Chris or Luke?”

I deadpanned. What the hell was he talking about? “Who told me what?”

“Don’t pretend that you don’t know,” he said, nudging me playfully.

This was getting weirder by the second. “How can I even pretend when I don’t know what is it?”

Oliver shrugged his shoulders, as if it was so obvious. “That my birthday is next week. I’m pretty sure Chris or Luke told you—”

“Wait, what? Your birthday is next week? But my birthday is next week!”

“My birthday is in February 8!”