Chapter Three: The Private School

Alice let out a wolf-whistle as I walked down the stairs. “Looking good, Rebecca,” she laughed gleefully.

I blushed deeply and waved her off dismissively. I was only wearing my uniform for my new school – Raven Academy. It’s my first time to be in a private school. Back in New York, I go to a public school, though private schools were giving out letters to me, saying that I’m welcome to their school. Though I really want to go there, Michael firmly refused. He said public school education won’t be any different from private school, except it’s much more advanced, comfortable and expensive. He said he went to a public school and look where it got him.

Anyway, the uniform was quite… not my taste. The blouse was white, and the sleeves were too long for my arms so I have to fold it up to my elbows. On top of that, there was also a grey vest with the school logo and a grey tie. The matching grey skirt was an inch above my knees. I was also wearing knee-length grey socks (but you could also wear white) and my leather doll shoes.

“Wow, you didn’t tell me you go to Raven Academy,” Thalia said, grinning at me and I plopped down on the seat across her.

“Well, duh, you should have guessed it,” Dianna said, giving her a look. “She’s a rich kid, she could afford Raven Academy.”

“What’s for breakfast?” I asked, trying to change the subject.

“Cereals,” Martha replied and placed a box of cereals in front of me.

“Mmm, my favorite brand,” I said, smiling at the box and poured some of it to my bowl. “So, what would you do for the rest of the day?”

“I’ll write my novel,” Alice said. I noticed that she was wearing glasses. “I should really get this publish. If I would, and if it would be successful, then I’d be a full-time author. But if it wouldn’t… well, I’d be looking for a new publishing company to work on.”

“I’d be attending community college,” Thalia replied, shrugging. “Nothing new.”

“For the day, I’d be lounging around and be lazy,” Dianna told me, winking. “Then later, I’d work in the diner.”

“I’ll just be at home,” Martha said. “What a boring life we lead.”

“It’s not,” I said, shaking my head. “I think it’s rather fun.”

After that, we ate our breakfast in silence. When I was done, I brought my bowl to the sink and began to wash it. As if on cue, there was a beep from outside. Martha stood up from her seat. “Did you expect someone, girls?”

We shook our head.

“Well, who could that be?” Alice asked as she peered on the window. “Hmm, that’s a nice convertible. And those are hot guys. They look younger than I am, though.”

“Wait a minute,” Dianna said and narrowed her eyes. “That’s Oliver Hoffman! What’s he doing here?”

The moment I heard his name, my eyes widened and I rushed to the door. I stood at the front porch as Oliver, Luke and Chris waved me over. I gave them my harshest glare. “What are you doing here?” I shouted, so they could hear me.

“Picking you up, of course!” Luke yelled back. “We go to the same school, remember?”

“How do you know I live here?!”

“We asked my dad,” Oliver replied and smirked at me. “Get in!”

I haven’t even brushed my teeth.

“Three more minutes!”

I rushed back inside and ran back upstairs, ignoring the questioning looks the others were giving me. For two minutes, I brushed my teeth, combed my hair, and applied some make-up. Quite warily, I took the gun inside my suitcase and pushed my skirt up. I strapped my gun on my thighs, and let down my skirt. I know, it’s weird to carry a gun (actually, it’s beyond weird), but Mr. Hoffman told me that I should always carry one. In case of emergencies.