Chapter Twenty-Three: The Dinner Party

“You know I could always drop you off,” Oliver said, giving me a look. “I have a driver. I’ll drop you off in your apartment.”

I smiled at him. “I know, but Michael told me he’d pick me up. Besides, I need some alone time with him. God knows I have to talk to him.”

Oliver winced. “Let me guess… This is about our relationship, isn’t it?”

“Yep.”

“Well, I have to do some talking with my dad too, so you’re not alone,” he tried to joke and I let out a small laugh. “So I’ll pick you up in my limo later at six in the evening, okay? Wear something fancy.”

“Okay. I’ll see you later,” I said. He kissed me in the cheek as a farewell and then followed his driver out. With a wide grin on my face, I called to him. “Happy birthday again, Oliver!”

He turned, winked at me and made my knees go weak. I laughed and then continued sitting down on my seat, waiting for my brother to show up. He texted me last night that he was going to pick me up, but as usual, he’s running late.

I waited for about eight minutes when I started panicking. What if something bad happened to him? A car accident on the way here in the airport? I began to massage my fingers to reassure myself but it didn’t really help.

Suddenly someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around and saw a guy wearing a black suit. My heart began to throb angrily in my chest as I stood up on my seat. “Is there anything I could help you with?” I asked quietly, hoping it’s not about my brother.

“Are you Rebecca Georges?”

Oh, God. “Yes.”

“I’m Jacob. I was told by your brother that I’ll drop you in your apartment. He’s in a meeting and he’s really busy. He can’t show up because of that. He says he’s sorry and he’ll just make up later,” the man said rather apologetically.

I sighed. Michael’s a good employee all right, but when it comes to me, he’s ready to cancel a meeting just to see me. I guess he’s just using that meeting as an excuse for him not to meet me today. Maybe he’s not yet over the fact that I’m actually dating the son of his boss.

“Oh,” was all I said.

“Are these your bags?” Jacob asked, gesturing to the suitcases that I have with me.

I nodded. He carried my bags and then I followed him out of the airport. A familiar black sedan was waiting and I knew it was Michael’s beloved car. Jacob placed my bags at the back of the car while I went to the passenger’s seat. When he was done, he went to the driver’s seat and began to drive to the apartment.

“If you don’t mind my asking, Jacob, do you know what Michael’s meeting is all about?” I asked out of curiosity.

Jacob shrugged. “I really don’t know, Miss Rebecca. I just know it’s with this big company group from Norway.”

I nodded thoughtfully. “Oh. Thanks, Jacob.”

“No problem, Miss Rebecca.”

We finally arrived at my apartment and helped me out with my things. I gave him a tip and he gave me a toothy smile in return. Peter, the elevator guy, went out when he saw me outside.

“Rebecca! Advance happy birthday!” he greeted me, smiling.

My whole face lit up, and for a moment, I forgot about my brother ditching me. “Peter! You actually remember,” I teased.

He laughed. “’Course I remember. You need help with these?”

“Yes, please,” I replied. I grabbed one suitcase while he carried the heaviest one. “Have you seen Michael this morning, Peter?”