Chapter Twenty: The Prom Royalties

Prom night.

It’s supposed to be the night I’m going to remember for the rest of my life. People say it’s going to be the second best night of my life (wedding night’s going to be my first). I don’t know what to expect, honestly. I like my dress and my makeup and my hair. I’m waiting for Eric to pick me up. His mother’s going to drive us to Prom (which was very embarrassing for him but he said she wanted to meet me).

As I was applying my last layer of lipstick, a car honked outside. I almost tripped on my four-inched heels as I made my way to the window. I hid behind the curtains and peeked quietly. I raised an eyebrow as Eric got out of a Porsche. At least his mother has a good taste for cars. Then again, she’s a lawyer so makes lots of money.

The doorbell rang and I grabbed my purse from my bed. Inside was some of my money, my phone, my keys and of course, my gun, which I never really use, I thought with an eye roll.

I left my room and went downstairs. The girls told me I was so beautiful and gorgeous. I thanked them with a smile. Eric was waiting for me at the living room. He was wearing a cute tuxedo and a blue bowtie. He smiled at me and snaked his arms around my waist. He kissed my cheek and I smiled at him.

“You look really beautiful tonight,” he told me. “Blue suits you.”

“Thanks,” I said as my smile grew wider. It’s not every day I hear someone say I’m beautiful. Pretty, sometimes. But beautiful is another matter.

“Well, you two have some fun tonight,” Alice said. “Take care of Rebecca, Eric. She’s such a fragile thing.”

I frowned at her and Eric just laughed. “Don’t worry, I’ll take care of her. She’s in safe hands. We better go.”

“Sure. Have a good night!” Dianna said and gave me a surreptitious wink.

I blushed and bade the girls goodbye. Eric led me out of the house and then to the Porsche. He opened the car door for me and I went in. He followed after me and shut the car door close.

“So you must be the girl that replaced Lavender.”

Eric’s mother looked like him. She had the same shade of brown hair though it was mixed with some grey. She was studying me as if I was a weird specimen. I don’t know whether she doesn’t like me or not. She had this blank expression. I wonder if she wears that expression a lot.

“Um, hi. I’m Rebecca. You must be Mrs. Kensington. It’s really nice to meet you,” I said politely.

“Call me Johanna, Rebecca. It’s also a pleasure to meet you. I’ve been telling my son to break up with that slut Lavender.”

I blinked. I don’t know what to do after that. That was the second time I’ve heard Eric’s relative call Lavender a “slut.” I wonder if she knows this. Beside me, Eric sighed sharply. “Mom. Please don’t call Lavender a slut. She’s not a slut.”

Johanna took a deep breath and gave Eric a look. “Eric, I’ve seen her flirt her ass off with some guy when I invited her for lunch.”

Does Lavender have any principles or something?

“Look, can we just go?” Eric said, exasperated. “I don’t want to talk about Lavender.”

“Of course. It’s terribly rude with your new girlfriend,” Johanna said and gave me the slightest of smiles.

She started the engine and began to drive. I leaned on Eric and whispered, “What does she mean with Lavender flirting her ass off with some guy?”

He winced. “You don’t want to hear it.”

“I actually want to. Try me.”

“My mom invited her for lunch in some restaurant three months ago. She wanted to meet her, you see. She just went to grab some table napkins when my mom caught her flirting with some guy. After that, Mom’s been calling her “The Slut” at home.”