Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Searching Continues

Two hours passed, and Ray or any of the police reported some good news. In thirty minutes, Oliver’s parents were going to arrive. I was supposed to leave and gather the dignity that’s left of me. But I can’t just leave Chicago without seeing Oliver, without seeing if he’s okay or alive.

“I made you a cup of hot chocolate,” Chris said as he and Luke sat down with me in the kitchen table.

I smiled weakly at him. “Thanks,” I said and took a sip. It tasted stale.

“Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman are going to arrive in a few minutes,” Luke told me ever-so gently. “Maybe we could talk to them. I could be really persuasive.”

“I’m pretty sure their minds are not going to change,” I said, shaking my head. “Besides, it’s my entire fault. If I… if I just did my job properly…”

“Don’t blame yourself,” Chris said and squeezed my hand. “We’ll sort this out. You won’t leave, I assure you.”

“The job isn’t important, Chris. I don’t care about the job. I care about Oliver. I want him back,” I said, my voice breaking with emotion. “I don’t care if Mr. Hoffman would drag me to New York. I just have to see Oliver one last time before I leave. I want to see him safe and alive.”

“And you will!” he insisted. “You will, Rebecca.”

“Why don’t you take a nap, hmm?” Luke suggested. “It’s like, almost eleven. Just… rest. We’ll wake you up when the police has news.”

I nodded. I needed the rest. I was tired, and my eyes were about to close. I smiled at Chris apologetically as I pushed the cup of hot chocolate back to him. He just nodded understandably.

I walked up the stairs and instead of using the Guest Room, where I usually sleep, I walked in inside Oliver’s room. I closed my eyes and inhaled his familiar scent, that boyish cologne that he always used. I crawled onto his bed and hugged myself. The tears left my eyes again and it soaked Oliver’s pillow.

***

I woke up with someone banging his fist on the table. My eyes fluttered open as I heard a familiar voice shout, “What do you mean it’s not her fault?! It’s her entire fault why my son is gone! She didn’t do her job properly!”

I heard a chair moving. Then Luke’s voice: “Mr. Hoffman, sir, she didn’t know she was tricked!”

“Don’t you dare try to reason with me, young man. I know what I’m talking about.”

I got out of the bed. I need to have my say on this. It’s supposed to be me down there. I was about to open the door, when it was opened for me. The door opened, revealing Mrs. Hoffman. She jumped, startled, when she saw me. I just stood there, staring at her with my mouth slightly open. What do you say to the woman whose son you’re supposed to be protecting got lost?

“Rebecca, I didn’t know you’re here,” she said. “Harold told me you were gone.”

“Well, I’m not going to leave without seeing Oliver,” I said with a shrug. “I’m sorry your son is lost, Mrs. Hoffman. Mr. Hoffman’s right; it’s my entire fault.”

And she did something that surprised me. She stepped forward and put her arms around me. She ran a hand through my hair and I felt her tears soaking on the side of my neck. I closed my eyes and hugged her back.

Sometimes people don’t say anything. You just need a hug and that one action would speak the words you cannot utter.

When she pulled away from me, she was wiping her tears and a small laugh escaped her lips. “I’m sorry about that, Rebecca. I didn’t mean to cry on you just like that.”