Chapter Eight: The Beach Experience

“No, I’m not going there.”

Oliver looked at me incredulously. “I thought you’re supposed to be a tough and strong girl. Don’t tell me you’re afraid…”

“I’ve just never ridden one before!” I said defensively. “My brother forbids me to.”

“But he’s not here, is he?” he said, smiling wickedly. “Come on, Rebecca! Don’t let a motorbike scare you.”

I glared at him. “I’m not scared, okay?” But my voice was shaking and there was no mistaking the fear in my eyes.

“I won’t let you fall,” he promised. Then he positioned himself on the motorbike, patted the seat behind him and handed me the helmet. “I have only one helmet and I would let you have this.”

I took a deep breath and climbed aboard. With shaking fingers, I slipped the helmet on my head. “Now what?” I said.

“You put your arms around me.”

“What?! No way in hell am I going that, Mr. Oliver Hoffman! I would rather die.”

“Now, that’s too harsh,” he said in a chastising tone. “If you wouldn’t, you’re going to fall off. We don’t want that, do we?”

I folded my arms and glared at his back stubbornly. I will ride on a motorbike but I will not put my arms around Oliver. There’s just no—

“Whoa!” I screamed in surprise. My hands immediately flew on Oliver’s side and I buried my face on his back. The motorbike just vibrated to life and it surprised the hell out of me.

I could feel him laughing. “It feels good when you hold me like that, Rebecca.”

“Just shut up, okay? Or else I would forget that I had forgiven you.”

“Actually, it’s you who should apologize but you were not doing anything so I was the first one who apologized.”

“Whatever. Just drive the stupid motorbike. Where’s your car, anyway?”

“I don’t want to use it. It’s too… big, you know?”

And then we were off.

***

“Could you be more cliché?” I grumbled under my breath as I took off the helmet.

Oliver glanced over his shoulder to look at me. “What’s wrong with the beach? It’s kind of hot, don’t you think?”

“It’s October, douchebag. And it’s cliché because boys take their girlfriends in beach to have sex. Well, that’s what I see in movies.”

“First off, you’re not my girlfriend.”

“Thank God,” I can’t help saying.

“Second, you shouldn’t believe whatever you see in movies. Most of it is bullshit and crap. And I know its October and we’re going to freeze our ass off if we’re going swimming.”

“Wait. We’re not going to swim?”

“Nope,” he said, popping the P. “If we are going to swim, I would have told you to bring your swimsuit or something. We’re going up that cliff.” He pointed up.

I looked up and frowned. That’s really high, and we should walk up that rocky road to get there. “Are we going to walk up there? Can’t we bring the motorbike?”

He shook his head. “It’s against the rules.”

“Wait, you follow the rules now?” I teased him.