Stories and Legends

Percy POV

Odin's voice echos in the room. It scares me more than it should. The voice carries authority and entitlement; it brings back memories of the torture and pain.

Despite the pain it brings, I look straight at Odin. He's old, and covered in gold. His eyepatch, his armor, his staff, all gold.

His eyes float past me. They focus for a second on Loki, Odin's face forms a scowl. Finally, they settle on Thor.

"Why have you not answered my question? I will smite it right now if you do not answer." Odin raises his staff.

I open my mouth to speak, only to have Loki place his cold arm on my arm and slowly shake his head no. He nods to Thor, as in he is the only one able to speak to the All-Father.

Thor kneels, and Loki pulls me down to follow.

Thor does not look him in the eyes as he speaks, "I have brought Loki and this Midgardian back for help. There is wisdom in Asgard that we seek."

Odin looks bored, "Rise." He lazily waves his hand. "That does not explain why you have returned without asking for my permission to bring them."

Thor stands and walks closer, "It was a matter of life or death." Thor pauses for a breath only to be interrupted. 

"It always is! Why did you have to bring your brother with? Was I not clear he has to serve out his sentence on Earth?" 

"As I said, we believe there is wisdom here in the library and Loki knows where it is." 

Odin thinks for a moment, "What wisdom do you seek?" His eyes turn to Loki, "Why have you risked coming back?" 

Loki stands up a little straighter when he is addressed. He walks to meet Thor's position leaving me behind Thor and Loki, all forgotten. He stares the All-Father in the eyes as he states, "I found a cause worth the risk. My friend, brother-in-arms, needs the help that is only here."

My heart swells thinking I have a close friend again, like Nico. But Nico died. Because of me. Maybe I shouldn't let Loki get close. 

Odin nods, slightly. His eyes almost soften. Almost.

"Very well. Who is this mortal that has earned your trust?" 

"You may have heard of him," Odin scoffs. "His name is Percy Jackson." 

I step forward with my name being called and end up in front of Loki and Thor. 

"Are you truly the Percy Jackson? The one in the stories?" 

I can't help but smirk, "Yes I am." 

"Are the stories all true? All of your quests with the other Greek demigods?" 

I think "What's the phrase, I heard it in New York once. I like to believe in it. It goes, 'Everything you've ever heard, about monsters, about nightmares, legends whispered around campfires... all stories are true.'"  

Odin actually smiles. He smiles down at me, "Including the one of running in the streets in your undergarments?" 

I blush, that was an embarrassing day, "Perhaps not that one." 

The All-Fathers laughs. I glance back at Loki and he looks as perplexed as I do. Thor just shrugs at me. 

"I shall see fit that your chambers will meet your needs. I look forward to your time in my kingdom." He no longer seems bored. "You must begin your search, but why is it needed?" 

Loki steps up for me, "It is hard for him to say, All-Father." 

"I must know" 

I gulp. He needs to know if he will let us look. I take a deep breath, "In the Giant War, we were forced to face Gaea head on. A-An- She and I had just gotten out of Tartarus. We all fought," My voice cracks, "I was the only one who made it." I can't look him in the eyes. "They are now hunting me down and hurting me." 

Odin looks bewildered, "Hunting? How can they if they are dead? Your mythology does not allow such a thing." 

"That is what we are looking for Father." Thor answers for me. I take the chance to come in line with them, shying away. "They have been growing stronger and hurting this young hero."

"We wish to search all of libraries and books therein." Loki continues for Thor. "We will need your approval." 

Odin draws away from us and into his head thinking, "I do not wish what happens to a Midgardian. But seeing how this is a hero and warrior, savior of all, destroyer of many beasts, I am willing to see the need of your search." He then lifts his staff up just enough and brings it to the ground to bring about a large echo of sound, making it final. 

We bow once more and say thank you as we make our way to the door. 

Once out of Odin's view, Thor grins largely, "Ready for your tour?" He lands his hand on my shoulder. 

I nod and in the corner of my eye, I can see Loki roll his eyes. But he still smiles with Thor. 

"It is near nightfall. We will show you the castle and eat. After, we will bed early in order to begin our research." Loki commands while scanning the halls. "What first, Thor? The gardens? Or perhaps the pools?" 

I perk up at the mention of water, "The pools?" 

"Let us show him, brother!" Thor almost drags me down the hall. 

We take several turns, only to arrive in a vast stone room. A section of the floor lays shallow amount of water. No more than five feet. 

"What is this used for?" I ask. 

"Mostly relaxing. Sometimes to bathe. It is strange." Loki answers for me. 

"Maybe, but who am I to judge?" 

Loki chuckles, "There is a lot more to see. Perhaps you can sleep in here tonight." 

Off we went to discover new places, distant lands, and far off places. Every room was brought to my attention. Their rooms, the dinning halls, all of the gardens, training areas, armory. Basically anything you can think of, they brought me to that room.

 Except for the most hated one of them all, the dungeons. And there was no way you would get me to go in there. 

It was the one thing that Loki is actually frightened of. I can tell he carries a deep feelings of hate and rejection for and from Asgard. 

I can't help but see where that feeling comes from.