Chapter 15

Lila's POV

The alarm goes off. It's time.

I groan and pull the blanket from over my face. I really don't want to get up. But, I have too.

I throw a pillow at Tessa to wake her up. "Is it required to get up?" She moans, pushing the pillow to her face. "Unfortunately so." I sigh, pulling off my blanket.

I grab a poptart and eat it as I get ready. Tessa moves visibly slower than me, to which I turn a blind eye. I already laid out an outfit, black skinny jeans, a red tank top and a biker jacket. I'll probably just wear my converse as always.

I shove the last of the poptart in my mouth and look over the schedule and map as Tessa does her makeup.

"Period one, History of the Gifts. With Mr. Holland." I read off the paper. Tessa walks over,"By the looks of the map, it's just in the classroom below us. Funny."

I grab a bag with notebooks, pens, all of that and we head downstairs. The halls are crowded with equally excited and confused kids, flying, scrambling around to find their classes.

I keep hold on Tessas hand so we don't get seperated. The classroom isn't far, so we manage our way through the door. Very few others are in there, and the teacher is sitting quietly at his desk. Written on the board is,"Please stand in back of room until seat assignments are given."

I walk back and look at everyone who is already there. One has huge muscles,Super strength I'm guessing. One is evidently stretching around, messing with people, so obviously she  stretching powers. The last is a smaller boy using telekenesis to read a book.

Look! Tessa silently exclaims. Nadia walks in, spots us, and runs to join the group. "Hey guys!" She says, smiling giddily, "You don't know how happy I am that you guys are in at least one of my classes!" We both laugh.

Slowly, more people begin to file in. Tick. Tick. The bell rings and in the blink of an eye, Mr. Holland is in front of us. Teleportation, I guess. It's almost a game now to guess what gift everyone has.

"Hello class." He says, giving a quick glance to each of us. "Hello Mr.Holland." We recite back in monotone voices.

He chuckles,"Tired, I see. Well, I'm sure you will grow more accustomed to the times. Of course, we now need to put together our seating assignments."

Everyone shifts, our brains not quite functioning enough to care. He reads off a chart on where to put everyone. Tessa and I end up near the back, and Nadia is in the seat in front of me.

Mr. Holland starts talking about the class, the course, and a basic overview of the subject.

I'm too brain dead to care about what he is talking about. Tessa says, slumping in her chair. I smile, Couldn't agree more.

Would you two be quiet! I hear a more high pitched voice say. I freak out, looking through the room. I see a small girl with brown hair glaring at us. Mind reading then. She has square glasses, and a really stuck up look. So I guess shes that one.

Just stop listening in on our conversation. Tessa says, giving her an icy look. She rolls her eyes and turns her attention back to the front. After zoning out for what seemed like an hour, I look at the clock to see only 15 minutes have passed.

"Miss. Bastil?" He says, looking at me. "Excuse me? I'm sorry that's not my last name." I say, wondering where he could've gotten that mix up.

He sucks in a breath, and his eyes widen. "Sorry about that. Did they not tell you your real last names?"

I shrug."Oh it's fine. It's not that big of a deal." Tessa and I respond. A look of releif splashes over him,"I thought I was going to make you mad."

We laugh and he continues talking,"As I was saying, could you start us off with power demonstrations? I would like to get every one to see each other before the end of class."

I hop up, looking around. There are actually only 15 of us, it shouldn't take very long. "Come on Tess." I say. She follows me up, and we smile. It's always going to be mind boggling when we do this.

We grab hands, and I laugh when everyone's face becomes dazzled. Well, except for the stuck up little one.

We get claps, then sit back down. "Miss... Candle?" Mr. Holland says. She stands up. "The name is Holly. And unlike them, who have a practically useless and evil driven power," she looks in our direction. If looks could kill... "I have a practical gift. I, can fly. And, may I say, I have quite the intellect, but that's just me being smart." She does one of those pig laughs, and nobody laughs with her.

She frowns, and floats back to her seat. Mr. Holland tried not to laugh,"A little bit uncalled for... but sure. I'll go by first names now... Nadia?" She smiles and walks up.

"Well, is anyone hurt? She asks. Someone stands up, and pulls up his sleeve, revealing a black and blue bruise.

She beckons him forward, and places her hands on his arm. I watch, but I am still mesmerized by her glowing eyes as the bruise is healed. She is met with applause as well, and a couple requests. Then she does something I haven't seen before.

"Well, if everyone's in a little pain, how about..." She taps her chin. Her arms extend outward, and a sparkling white aura surrounds the room. You can hear the intake of breath as she manages to heal everyone in the room. I stumble a little almost falling out of the chair.

She looks a little dizzy, and falls on her knee. I jump up,"You shouldn't have done that." I insist. She laughs, pulling herself to her feet,"I've never even done it before. It was fun though."

I laugh, sitting her back in her chair. "That was certainly, interesting." Mr.Holland says, pacing around with a newfound bounce in his step.

We continue with the demonstrations.