Prologue

Lila's POV

The last few papers are stuffed in my bag before I sling it over my shoulder, "Bye Elle! See you tonight. 

She waves, hopping into her Mom's car. We'll see each other tonight to work on the Junior play, The Sound of Music, but for now, we have to finish our homework. I trot down the sidewalk leading to my house, which is only about a block from the school. It's nice to walk unnoticed, leaving me and my thoughts to ourselves. 

It's never quite clear why I've always blended in with the crowd, my hair a fiery red and my eyes as bright blue as the sky. Elle has been my best friend since early in grade school, having introduced herself as the girl who liked my hair. We liked it, just her and I, taking on high school. 

On this particular day, the silence was eery. There wasn't even a whistle of wind past my ears, or a crunch of gravel of underneath my shoes. I turn onto my street, not even seeing a single car. Odd. I check the mailbox as my feet turn to the driveway, pulling out an old school, Victorian letter. The label is addressed to me, and it has a wax seal that reads, 'GYA'

I shove the letter in my bag, and jog up to the door.Mom opens it the door before my hand can even touch the doorknob, a worried expression etched onto her face. 

"Did you get the mail?" She urges. 

I nod slowly, "Of course, why?" 

She grabs my backpack, tossing things on the floor until her small hand pulls out the letter, "Lila, we need to talk." 

Tessa POV

I slip into my red Mercedes, tossing my backpack in the backseat. 

"Bye Cristal!" I call out, waving. 

She drives off, and I pull out behind her, heading to my, in my opinion, too large house. 

It is only a few streets away from the school, but Mom insists I drive home, with the fear I might get mugged on the street. It's ridiculous, but I still do so, just to make her feel better. Today, the streets were clear, not another car except Cristal's in sight. I almost miss my turn, while observing the off-looking streets. 

Our house is the first on the street, so I grab the mail before heading down the lengthy driveway. 

As I exit the car, my hands shuffle through the envelopes. One in particular catches my eyes, an ancient looking letter with a wax seal that says, 'GYA' 

Although my mind is curious, wanting to open the letter, I head inside. Usually it will just be me at home for a few hours, before my parents get here, but today, Mom is home early from work. 

"Tessa, give me the mail at this instant." She demands. 

Scared of the sudden outburst, I hand her the stack of papers and letters. 

She pulls out the wax sealed letter, and looks at me dead in the eyes, "We need to talk."