Chapter 10

Lila's POV

I flop onto my bed, breathing heavy. The rush to the room assignments was deadly. We got there in the first  dozen, so we all requested the same floor and building. My roommate hasn't gotten in yet, but I'm hoping it's Tessa.

I go exploring in the small room.  It's a about the size of my living room, and has two beds, two identical drawers at the end of each bed, one full bathroom with a soaker tub, a kitchenette with a medium sized fridge, and everything is stocked in full, with any amenities you need. On each bed is a map of the humongous school and a schedule.

I lay back down on the bed, wondering what could be taking my roommate so long. Administration didn't take much time, maybe she is just lost.

I wait another 10 minutes before someone knocks. I excitedly get up to go open the door. It's me you dummy. Tessa thinks. I laugh, opening the door and giving her a hug.

"Thanks, I feel so loved," I joke sarcastically. She laughs, pushing through the door. She gives a slight nod, "This is pretty nice. I see you've already claimed the right side?" She says, gesturing to my purse that spilled  its contents on the mattress.

"I guess," I reply, not really caring which side I get. She tosses her own purse on to her bed, and lays down on mine. I roll my eyes, plopping down beside her.

"I can't believe this." She says.

"What?" I question.

She rolls onto her side, looking at me, so I do the same. "Within a matter of days we discover we are basically fire monsters, like stuff out of a movie, and now we are at an academy for people with super powers. Super Powers for Christ's sake! Doesn't it ever seem like a dream? I mean, before this school year I didn't know I was adopted. Or had a twin. Or that superpowers were even real. Now I feel like my life is a knock off of X- Men." She says, sounding rather casual with how much stress is in the words.

I lay on my back again,"I've thought about it. I know its insane, but its real. I thought I was on drugs when I woke up from meeting you. It all seems... impossible."

She laughs,"Well I guess we are just little impossibilities aren't we."

I smile,"I guess so. Should we look at our schedules?" She nods walking over and grabbing her own. "Maybe we are in some of the same classes." She suggests.

I look at mine, mapping out each place on my sheet.

Period 1: History of the Gifts;Mr. Holland 8:30- 9:15
Period 2: Power Controlling;Miss. Judge 9:25- 10:10
Period 3:Creative Arts;Mrs. Kirsch 10:20- 11:05
Lunch/Break 11:15-12:00
Period 4:Defense; Mr. Huckabee 12:10- 12:55
Period 5:Power Chemistry; Miss Wolfe 1:05- 1:50
Study Hall: 2:00- 2:45

Each class is pretty close, and I only have to go to 2 different buildings. Tessa grabs my sheet and looks over it. "I guess they wanted to put us together, we have the same classes." She says, showing me her own schedule.

I smile,"I just cant get away from you can I? I joke, giving her a sarcastic look. She lays back down beside me, and throws her arm and leg over me,"You'll never get rid of me."

I laugh, pushing her off,"Do you want to go to the cafeteria? I'm dying for a meal." I suggest. She jumps up,"I would love nothing more."

I grab a map and we head out. The halls are mostly empty, a few roommates and friends walking around. Elevator right there Tessa thinks, pushing me over. I click the button to open, and we go down to the first floor. We follow the signs to the cafeteria, and are surprised by the sight before us.

It reminds me of a food court, the buzz of hundreds of conversations filling the air. People are flying, teleporting, and using powers everywhere. It's like nothing I've ever seen.

"Is that a Taco Bell! " Tessa exclaims. I laugh, and we run to the line. "This is incredible!" I exclaim, my eyes darting where ever lightning strikes, snow flows and bodies move.

"I know, I still feel like I'm dreaming." Tessa laughs. We order food, and sit down at an empty table in the front. As we are eating, I spot Audrey, Nadia, Molli and the others coming in.

I stand on the seat and wave them over. They excitedly run over to us and fill up the rest of the table while Aaron goes to get them some burgers and drinks.

"Can you believe this!" Molli squeals, staring at all the dreamlike things happening around us. Nadia laughs,"It's unbelievable for me, I wonder how it feels through a child's eyes,"

That's an understatement, this place is the best thing to ever happen to us.