Redemption - Sunrise

1 month ago...

She scrambles through the pile of thrash looking for something to eat, or something she can sell to buy some food to get through the day. She pets the cat that was beside her when she heard a loud thud behind her.

A man collapsed and she immediately runs to help him out. She tentatively shakes the man. When no response came, she leans closer to feel if the man is still breathing. After checking his pulse, she immediately asks for some help. Luckily, a nearby policeman was roving around and they rushed the old man to the nearest hospital.

The people around the hospital, including the nurses and doctors keeps on looking at her. She's wearing no slippers, her hair looks like it hasn't been washed for months and her whole body is covered in dirt. Not to mention that she was wearing a rugged white shirt that somehow turned into grayish white because obviously it has not been washed for a long time.

If there's one thing that she hates the most, it's receiving scrutinizing stares from people who doesn't even know her. Not that it can be helped but still, she cannot seem to stand when people look at her as if she doesn't deserve any place in the world.

She's been through hell and yes she looks pitiful but she doesn't want to be on the receiving end of it. Like if she can give something to anyone, she'll give it if ever they need it. And that's how she found herself on this hospital lobby.

An old man passed out in front of her and even though the police had already arrived, she insisted that she'll come with the hospital. Parang di niya kayang iwanan ang matanda na hindi nasisiguradong ligtas eto.

She sighs. Ano na self? Pwede ka naman kasing hindi sumama kanina. Paano ba kasi hindi masyadong maging mabait? Ughh

"Miss, pasensya ka na pero hindi ka pa pwedeng umalis. Kailangan pa namin hingin ang statement mo. Utos na rin ng anak ng matanda."

She simply nodded, fiddling her thumbs trying to calm herself down.

***

"What are you doing here?"

"Bakit ba ang sungit mo? Pinaglihi ka ba sa kalamansi? Asim palagi ng mukha mo pag nakikita kita. Try mo rin mag smile. Sayang dimples mo eh!" She moves closer and tries to touch his face.

He immediately shrugs her hand away and took a step back. "Ano ba?! Bakit ka ba nandito?"

"Inutusan ako ng tatay mo para kuhain daw yung isang box. Ano ba't ang aga aga nakabusangot ka?"

He didn't answer and instead walks out of his room leaving her.

He is Richard Faulkerson Jr. Second son of the Faulkerson Family and one of the most eligible bachelor of his generation.

After being able to get what she was asked to, she quickly made her way to the master's bedroom where Richard's father, Richard Sr. stays. She knocks on the door and comes in when she was given permission to.

"Andito na po yung pinapakuha nyo." she hands him the small box smiling weakly.

"Sinungitan ka nanaman ba iha?" the old man chuckles.

"Opo eh. Saan po ba pinaglihi yon? Ang sama ng mukha palagi. Sayang gwa -" she immediately stops as soon as she realized what she's saying.

He smiled sadly and turns into the small box, slowly opening and revealing its contents to her.

Inside were a few baby pictures, a handkerchief and a small broken timepiece that is shaped like its half of a heart.

"Sayang ang kagwapuhan ng batang iyon. Palaging galit sa mundo. Pasensya ka na Maine. Ako nalang ang hihingi ng tawad sa ugali ng batang iyon."

Richard is very handsome but is also quite a snob. He's one prodigal of a son and a problem child mostly during his high school days. After the death of his mother, he became rebellious involving his family in a few scandals.

His father tried his very best to tame him but gave up in the process. He almost got kicked out of college when he almost killed a student during an illegal wrestling competition that he participated in.

He was sent to his Auntie in America for him to study but things didn't really work out with them as well so he came back to the philippines. His father gave up on him and simply lets him do what he wants.

But despite letting him go on his ways, Richard Sr. continuously watch over his son's actions. Guiding and supporting him with the things he do, though he rarely had to step in since he's very talented and wise. The old man still had eyes on him, making sure he will not get himself into any trouble.

"Pero alam mo mabait naman ang batang iyan. Naalala ko pa noong mga bata pa yan silang mag kakapatid. Noong minsan na yung laruan ng kuya nya na tren ay nahulog at nasira na beyond repair, binigay nya yung bagong bili ko sa kanyang laruang robot para lang tumahan ang kapatid nya. Tapos siya nag tyaga lang siya dun sa mga sira sirang robot na luma. Inaayos ayos nya para mapagana at yun ang pinag lalaruan. Ganon siya ka selfless. Ganon nya kamahal ang mga kapatid nya." the old man adds.

Maine was speechless. She didn't know how to react so she only nodded. May soft side naman pala si sungit.

"Yung robot na yun, ilang buwan nya rin akong kinulit. Ang sabi ko noon, pag mataas ang nakuha nyang score sa finals nila, ibibili ko sia. Alam mo bang perfect lahat ng exams nya noon. Sobrang proud ako sa anak ko. Kaya right after ng exams nila, sinundo ko sila mag kakapatid at binilhan ko siya ng robot na yon." he continued.

The old man looks up and blinks a few times to stop the tears from flowing.

**Knock! Knock!"

Maine hands him a handkerchief and stands up to open the door.

Richard strides in, completely ignoring Maine and approaches his father who was seated on his wheelchair.

"Maiwan ko po muna kayo" she quietly exits the room, leaving the two alone.

***

"Who was that girl?" gesturing towards the door.

"Matagal tagal na rin siyang naririto, nakakalimutan mo pa rin ba ang pangalan nya? Siya si Maine."

He sighs in frustration. "I know who she is, what I meant is ano bang papel nya sa bahay na to?"

"Inaaalagaan nya ako hindi mo ba napapansin?"

"We hired the best caregivers for you. You push them away tapos you'll settle sa... sa palaboy na yon?"

"Richard."

He changes his stance. Richard notices the change in his tone and he knew that once he addresses him by his first name, he's serious. And no one wants to deal with his serious father. Even his late mother would normally resign to him but not him. Not anymore. Ever since they left him he swore he will never bow down to him.

"Don't call her like that. She was the one that saved me in case you've forgotten. She may be just a beggar but she has a big heart and that's what I like about her. She's what we need. What YOU need RJ."

He snorts. "What I need? I'm sorry pero wag na tayo mag plastikan pa. We both know what I need, what this family needs and you took that away from us. So don't fucking go there." Raising his voice a little.

Richard walks out not giving his father a chance to respond.