Agape - Chapter Four

August 2015

The weather was cold and breezy in Cuzco, their starting point to the Machu Picchu Ruins. Cuzco was a nice surprise for both of them, it was like they were in a time warp, where women dressed in traditional Quechua clothing, such as the Manta cape and the Polleras wide skirts, rosy-cheeked, coaxing them to pet the Llamas they have in tow.

Dei was a delight to watch, her eyes round with delight over the sights of this archeological capital of the Americas. She excitedly shopped for alpaca sweaters for both of them and for Basti, loving the splash of stripy colors on the choices. Out of curiosity, they tried the Cuzco versions of Lechon with tamales, Puchero, and Adobo, delighting over the bursting flavors of each dish.

The tour would take them two weeks, a week to explore Machu Picchu, Chan Chan and the sights at Cuzco. The last week would be spent back in Lima, to make it easy for them to take the flight back home. But for now, here they were strolling around the historic Plaza de Armas, the majestic cathedral.

"Babe, let's walk some more ha, the Lechon I ate was so........good."

"I wouldn't know, I didn't get any," He said pouting.

She cupped his chin and gave him a kiss. "Poor baby. Ok, I'll let you eat Lechon later, mind you, just a taste so you won't feel sorry for yourself, haha."

He put an arm around her shoulder and tipped his head to hers. "Happy ka?"

"Very. You didn't need to do this, Richard, I'm perfectly happy just being with you. But the effort you put into this trip warms my heart. Thank you for making me feel important and cherished."

"We deserve this vacation, Dei. I had no idea Peru is so interesting. This trip is an eye-opener for me. So I should be thanking you."

"You can thank me tonight," She said, batting her eyelashes at him. He leered at her, his lips close to her ear. "Well then, don't tire yourself too much today."

The tour of Machu Picchu was something they were not prepared for. Sure, they knew it was majestic and of another era, but to be there among the ruins, listening to the gentle cadence of their tour guide's voice, brought them back to the time of the Incas, when they built the steps of the temple higher and higher, hoping to reach their gods. There were about 3,000 steps leading to the different parts of the citadel, over a 5-mile stretch of land.

Dei was awed by the magnificence of the sacred ground, still unable to be believe she was actually here. The graceful stone layers that defied the test of time was remarkable, despite the many thousands of tourists who came to visit the place.

"Can you imagine the intelligence of the Incas when they built this, babe? I'm amazed at the precision of their measurements, of how they made such a sturdy structure."

"I know babe, amazing how it still stands now, huh? Weathering all the centuries, climate changes, the seasons. I'm so glad we did this, sweetie."

-----

That night, they went out for dinner in an open air restaurant. It was a small place, almost like someone's backyard, with pebbled flooring, handcrafted tables and chairs, soft music playing. The food was excellent, the wine relaxed them from the hike they encountered earlier. Richard took in the color of Dei's cheeks, her uplifted spirit and animation while talking to him. Taking a loved one out of the ordinary grind and into a totally different environment does wonders to the soul, as he saw how this trip affected both of them.

He was happy to see Dei like her old self when they were much younger; inquisitive, talkative and lively. This was how he best remembered her as Maine, not that he did not appreciate the older Dei, who saved him from self-destruction. He just liked seeing her acting her age, having her share of carefree moments.

"Dei, love, I'd like to dance with you."

"But no one's dancing, Richard."

"Maybe that's what the other couples are saying to themselves. They're just waiting for someone to start. Let's do them a favor, baby, come..."

He stood up, looking so handsome in his dark jacket and light blue shirt, his jeans fitting his long legs nicely. She could stare at him everyday and still not have her fill of him. Slowly she stands, finding warmth in the cozy circle of his arms.

They dance, swaying gently to the music, their breaths fogging as a result of the cold weather. True enough, other couples follow suit, and soon the floor was littered with couples, mostly tourists who have let down their inhibitions and danced.

"Look, other couples are dancing too," He said, lowering his lips to whisper. "But you know, I'm the luckiest here to have the prettiest date and I get to sleep with her tonight."

The thought of making love in this wonderful place with the love of her life overwhelmed her. She hugged him tightly, scared again for the what ifs, the possibilities that he would go ahead of her and leave her heartbroken when he did.

"I know what you're thinking Dei, stop it."

"Sorry.....I would be lost without you Richard. You're my world, I exist for you. I know I'm getting cheesy, you awaken that in me. Sometimes, looking at you is enough to put a lump on my throat. You're a beautiful person and I'm so lucky you love me back."

"Dei, I will have to go soon. Even if I were normal without the cancer, I will inevitably go ahead of you. But I promise you, even when I'm gone, I will always watch over you. You will never feel alone. My love for you is just too strong to let it end at death."

He felt it. This happiness came with a price. He was leaving her soon.