Redemption - New Day

"Mama... how are you feeling?" RJ asks her mother.

She slightly moves and with trembling hands she reaches out to his son's hand. Maine is lying on the hospital bed, waiting for her time to finally come. She is 85 years old now and she had lived her life to fullest.

Her son lies beside her, resting his head on the crook of her neck and wraps his arm around her waist.

"I'm - I'm feeling better anak, finally..." her voice hoarse and weak.

"Baby, I'm so sorry for those years you spent without a father. He would've stayed with us but you know he can't. Naiintindihan mo naman yun alam ko, pero patawarin m -"

"Hush now mama... Papa is here now. Finally, you'll be together again."

As she closes her eyes, she sees his face again mirroring the age he could've been if he's still alive. And she breathes her last breath, he takes her hand and pulls her closer. He places her hands on his shoulder and snakes his hands on her waist. Together they dance in the tune of the music only their hearts can hear.

***

The sun peeks through the curtains and Maine slightly moves when the rays reach her eyes. She turns around only to be welcomed by a smiling Richard.

"Good morning!"

"Hey. Good morning! You're up early."

"Last day." He shrugs and offers his hand to her.

She slightly frowned but immediately recovers before taking his hand. He pulls her up but she pulls him harder making him lose his balance. Richard falls on top of her but makes sure to rest his hands on either side of her face to support his body weight, making sure not to smother her.

They are now face to face. A trace of smile peeks at the edge of her lips but her eyes conveys something else. Something he knows he couldn't do anything about. They both know it's inevitability but somewhere along the way, they both gave in and that it led them to where they are now.

She gives him a peck on the lips and wraps her arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug.

"I love you."

"I love you"

"Where do you want to go?" he asks, trying to lighten up the mood.

"I want to walk by the shore." she smiles, pinching his cheeks to which he groans.

She pouted and he kisses her, full on her lips. Their sweet taste lingers in every twist and turn their tongues make. The kiss lasted for a minute. No one wants to break the kiss, not her, not even him. It's as if they're memorizing how their lips gently lays on one another so they can never forget.

When the pressing need for air refuses to be ignored, they let go, panting, lips swollen but not quite ready to give up. Forehead touching forehead he cups her face in his hands and gives her one last kiss.

It was short but it's full of longing.

He stands up and offers his hand to her to which she gladly took.

He leds her into the veranda, snaking his arm around her tiny waist and gently pulling her to him. He breathes in her scent, memorizing how she smells. He runs his hand through her hair and kisses her forehead.

He'll miss her. And she will miss him too. But they have agreed to both be strong, to hold on and promised each other that they will make it through, no matter how hard it may be, or how long it will take... until the right time for them to be together arrives.

Placing her arms around her neck he began to sway their bodies, dancing into the music of their hearts. It was a miracle that they both found love that exceeds the limitation of this lifetime. Fate couldn't allow them to be together but at least they were given a rare chance to hold each other's hearts and keep it.

Maine gasps as his body starts to disappear and moves. Richard holds her tighter keeping her in his arms.

"Hush now my love. Please take care of yourself okay? I will always be around, watching over you. I love you." pushing her slowly to look at her in her eyes. She's now crying.

"Baby... please. Please wag muna..." she pleads, her arms around his waist, holding him tighter. She was shaking.

"Maine... baby, we talked about this na db? I'm sorry I couldn't stay anymore... mahal, please stop crying." his voice croaks. He's obviously trying to stop himself from crying too but his own voice is betraying him.

He cups her face with his hands and smiles. A kind of smile that's warm enough to make her understand. This it it. His time has come.

"Goodbye Maine. Until we meet again. I love you." he lowers his head to kiss her before completely disappearing, leaving Maine broken but not completely torn. She now, more than she had ever been, felt more whole and complete. Richard might not be here with her physically but she knew she has now found her home.