Redemption - Morning

"Alam mo yang pagsusungit mo sa mga tao dito, walang pupuntahang maganda yan. Gusto mo bang pag usapan yan?" Maine approaches Richard and sits beside him on the bench on the mansion's garden.

He gives her an icy stare. "What the hell are you talking about?"

She scoffs. "RJ, alam mo hindi mo kailangan palaging magalit sa mundo. Masyadong maikli ang buhay to spend it hating everything and everyone. You should ease up. Kausapin mo kami. Mas makakatulong yun."

"Unbelievable. You are just so un-fucking-believable noh?"

She throws him a questioning look.

"Just because that old man let you in this house, you think you have some sort of privilege to say those words to me?! Baka nakakalimutan mo kung anong papel mo sa bahay na to. Wala kang karapatan na panghimasukan o pakialaman ano man ang ginagawa ko."

Richard stands up and walks away but stops mid way. "Oh and before I forgot, ang pangalan ko ay Richard. No one has the right to call me RJ except my mom."

Maine looks at his retreating back and let the tears cascade down her cheeks. It feels as if something sharp is being pushed into her chest that she can't even breath properly. She knows how much Richard misses his mom and this cold attitude is just a mask to cover the pain he refuses to deal with even after all these years.

No matter how bad Richard treats her, she couldn't bring herself to hate him. He is way too broken, too hurt. And somehow, Maine clings to the smallest glimmer of hope that she can still help him. Maybe he just needed to have someone who'll listen to him, or be there for him.

***

"Richard, you know that is not why you're still here right? You have to stop acting like a child and start facing this."

"Do I really have to do this? I was fine before you drag me back to this... this house!"

"Are you really okay? You left them without even saying goodbye. Is that what you really wanted? Coz you wouldn't be here if that's -"

"Fine."

"Please Richard. I know you're really trying but please, please just do your best."

***

Maine is still seating on the bench where Richard left her earlier. She drapes herself with a blanket and takes a sip of her tea.

"It's cold out here. Why are you alone?"

She turns to see where the voice came from and is surprised to know that RD, Richard's brother is here. He spends most of his time in his office and if it's a weekend, he'll just be inside his room with RJ.

"Hi RD!" Maine smiles, moving a bit to let RD sit beside her.

"Kamusta ka na Maine?"

"I'm okay naman po. Kayo po?" she tries to stifle a smile.

"I know how RJ treats you and I apologize for that." RD sighs but gives her a small smile.

"No, no, no. You don't have to apologize RD. Mr. Faulkerson keeps on apologizing to me, eh kung tutuusin nga hindi naman kailangan. Tama na yung isang beses. Besides, I understand why he's acting the way he is." sipping on her cup of tea.

"I don't know how or why he ended up that way Maine. He used to be a caring and nice guy. Sobrang mapag pahalaga nya. Ever since mom died, unti unti na siyang nagbago. Parang hindi ko na siya kilala."

She looks at him and holds his hand. "It's okay po." smiling sincerely.

"Back in highschool, nung mga panahong buhay pa si mommy, at okay pa sila ni daddy, si RJ sasampa yan sa may hita ni mommy tapos kukunin nya yung maliit na camera ni papa mag pipicture sila, tapos kami. Tapos si papa kasi nun naka destino sa malayong lugar, alam mo naman ang buhay sundalo... hihilahin nya si mama para ipa develop yung mga pictures tapos ipapadala namin kay daddy."

He stops and takes a deep breath to calm himself and stop the tears that threatens to fall. Gulping a lungful of air he continues. "Tapos sa tuwing uuwi si daddy, aagawin nya yung mga toys namin, itatago nya at hihilain ako papunta sa may pinto. Kailangan kasama kami ni mommy na sasalubong kay dad. Siya yung laging nag iinitiate ng pag sasalo salo sa pamilya. Siya yung sobrang mapagmahal. Siya yung laging gumagawa ng paraan para maging mas malapit pa kami sa isa't isa. Kaya siguro siya yung pinaka nasaktan nong iniwan kami ni daddy."

"Nagbago ang lahat nung umalis si dad at hindi na muling bumalik pa."

Maine couldn't help it. Tears come cascading down her cheeks as RD continues to tell the story. She can feel how hurt Richard was and her heart swells in pain as images of a young Richard, crying and begging his father flashes in her mind. She knows it's too much for a 7 year old boy to handle.

"Hinabol nya si daddy mula pag labas ng pinto ng kwarto nila ni mommy, hanggang sa makababa siya at lumabas ng pinto. Pati hanggang sa pag sakay nito sa sasakyan hindi tumigil si RJ sa pag mamakaawa."

RD wipes the tears that finally escaped and chuckles indignantly. "Sorry Maine ah. Hindi ko naman gustong ikwento ang buong buhay namin at kadramahan ng pamilyang to. I just thought with all the things RJ did to you, you should know the reason why he's the way he is. At least that's what I think."

She shakes her head and tries to compose herself, wiping the tears and fixing her hair. She smiles sadly. "I know RD. Naiinitindihan ko naman si RJ. But thank you for shedding some light sa mga tanong sa utak ko. Somehow, I know the kind of pain he has. Siguro magkaiba lang talaga kami ng way ng pag tanggap dito. Pero still, thank you."

The two stayed in the bench for a little longer before RD decided to come inside the house leaving Maine in the bench, reflecting on what they talked about.