Alone

WRITTEN BY:

thejraphaelc

Christmas. A time for love, sharing and happiness. A time for being with your loved ones. A time for celebration and joy.

That wasn't the case for Maine. As she walked across Hollywood Boulevard, she remembered the Christmases she had spent these past few years. She remembered being enveloped in a wonderful cloud of happiness and love. She remembered being with him.

Richard.

She walked through the winter air feeling as cold as she can be. She just came out from the filming of one of the most prestigious medical dramas on television and she wasn't happy because filming resumes in two days. It meant that she can't go home this Christmas. It didn't matter anyway because even if her sisters came to California to surprise her, she'd still feel incomplete.

He still won't be there.

JUNE

"Why would you keep something like this from me? Why?" Richard's loud voice echoed through the house.

"I didn't know how to tell you and I didn't know how you'd react. I guess I'm finding out now." Maine sat up, picked up the plates and started washing the dishes.

"Let me do that." Richard said in a lowered voice.

"I thought you'd be happy for me. I thought you'd be glad that they asked me." Tears started flowing down her face as she scrubbed the plates in the sink.

"I am happy for you." Richard moved behind her and held her by the waist.

"There's a but. You were about to say it. Just tell me and let's get this over with." Maine said.

"It's happening too fast. You'll be leaving soon and I'm not ready for that kind of relationship?" Richard's hands left her body. He sat back at the dining room with tears streaming down his face.

"What do you mean?" Maine turned around and faced him. "Tell me what you mean."

PRESENT TIME

Couples were kissing everywhere, wherever there's a mistletoe. She hated it. She hated the fact that he wasn't there, holding her to warm her. She hated that no one would be preparing a hot cup of homemade peppermint mocha topped with marshmallows on Christmas Eve. She hated that no one would be snuggling against her while they watch a marathon of Hunger Games while they wait for Noche Buena to start. She hated that there'd be no one to kiss under the mistletoe near her fireplace as they wait for Christmas to wrap up.

She hated that he won't be here, beside her.

"Hey Maine!" It was her co-star, Camilla Luddington that greeted her.

"Oh hi. I didn't know you'd be here." Camilla is one of her closest friends on the set. She wasn't on the set earlier today. They gave each other a hug before catching up.

"Just doing some last minute Christmas shopping. You never know when Shonda might call us and tell us that there'd be another filming. It usually happens when we get extended for a full season." She said. She also introduced her boyfriend that was with her.

"I've never had an experience with series. It doesn't usually happen in our country. Thanks for letting me know. I might go out later and do some last minute Christmas shopping myself." Maine said.