Redemption - A Quarter to Noon

The morning came and Maine was up early to prepare for breakfast. After setting everything on the table, Maine made his way up to inform the boys that breakfast is ready. As she was about to knock on RD's door, RJ came out of it, surprising her.

She peeks in but Richard blocks her. "Wala si kuya!" he snaps.

She pouted at Richard "Good morning to you too sungit! Ready na breakfast, baba na dun!" she strides gracefully in the corridor towards their father's room. She knocks before turning the knob and flips her hair towards Richard's direction and stucks her tongue out before fully entering the room.

Richard was taken aback by her sudden mischievousness and somehow, it made him smile.

He caught himself smiling so he shakes his head and resumes his blank expression as he made his way down the dining area. Baliw.

He took a little detour to the altar below the staircase and pays respect to the ashes of her late mother.

This is his morning ritual. He would always talk to his mom through his prayers, telling her how his day has been and how much he misses her. Richard is a mama's boy. Growing up, he would always run to his mom for almost everything. Not that RD and Rizza doesn't do it but with Richard, it was always extra special. She's his confidante, adviser, partner in crime, an older sister and a mother all rolled into one.

Mr. Faulkerson is already seated on the table when Richard finished praying. As he walks towards the table, He stops and looks at his father before finally making his way out. Maine followed suit.

"Oy sungit! Sabayan mo naman papa mo kumain." lightly grabbing his arm.

He suddenly stops, making her bump his back. "Aray ano ba yan. Huy!" lightly poking him.

"What?" turning to face her. Maine steps back a little to give some space.

"What, what ka diyan, tara dun kain ka muna. Sabayan mo si papa mo." still holding his arm.

He shrugs her hand off and walks closer to her, completely disregarding her personal space. She swallows past the lump that starts to form on her throat as her heart began beating wildly.

Ay teka bakit super lapit naman neto.

He looks at her eyes and she shut hers. Somehow expecting him to kiss her. Few seconds passed, nothing happened so she opens her eyes only to see a sly grin edging in his lips.

Takte?! Aba'y gago pala talaga tong lalaking to. Peste! Ano't nag eexpect ka ng istulips eh nuknukan ng sungit yang lalaking yan. Mentally scolding herself.

She swallowed as she recovers and before he knows it, she stomps her feet on his making him groan in pain.

"What the hell?!"

"Gago. Kung ayaw mong kumain di wag! Sayang masarap ang ulam na niluto ko. Sabe ng kuya mo paborito mo daw yun. Mamatay ka sa gutom!" flipping her hair and stomps her way back to the dining table leaving a gaping Richard.

***

In the days that followed, Mr. Faulkerson was in and out of the hospital. His condition is not getting any better hence, worsening by the minute. The doctors has advised the family to be prepared at any given time. His health might fail anytime and they can only hope he'll last for a few more weeks.

His deteriorating health is the main reason why Richard is back at the mansion. The old man wanted to be with his three children and wants to ask for their forgiveness by making it up to them until his last remaining days.