Holocene - The Owner

They have established some sort of a routine for the past few days.

Maine and Richard will spend the whole morning and afternoon getting to know each other, playing twenty questions. Richard claims that this is the fastest way to get facts about each other. Which actually did happen. They were not limited to twenty questions though, especially Maine. Her being a writer prompted her to ask a lot of questions, one after the other. Sometimes it leaves Richard laughing out loud because most her questions are so random.

One example would be, Maine asking Richard what his favorite ice cream flavor... a valid question only it's just that question coming from them just discussing about their religious views and stuff.

"Stop laughing at me! That question is serious, what is your favorite ice cream flavor?"

Richard is still laughing, making wheezing sounds. Maine wanted to get annoyed, but surprisingly she isn't.

"But that's so random Maine."

"It is not! You see, sometimes you can know a person just by knowing randoms things about them. Like their favorite flavor in ice cream." Richard has always noticed this cute thing about Maine, how her brows will furrow every time she is trying to explain something to him. "For example, Vanilla is one of the simplest of ice cream flavors, but its fans are actually likely to be colorful, impulsive, idealistic risk-takers who 'rely more on intuition than logic'." Maine pouted when Richard laughed again, "It's true! Google it."

"I don't question the authenticity of your research my dear writer, what I am laughing about is the randomness of it." Richard is still laughing that he did not notice the surprise but sweet smile Maine had after hearing his 'my dear writer' line. "But just to indulge you, my favorite is chocolate."

Maine was not surprised, his choice somewhat proves the research and his take on him based on the few days that they are together, "If you prefer chocolate, you are likely to be flirtatious and seductive, and also lively, charming, and dramatic. See, it fits you to T"

"Hmm, and I supposed yours is Peanut butter?" Maine was surprised. He got it right.

"How did you know?"

"Because, peanut butter fans are devoted, conscientious, and respectful. They hold high standards for right and wrong and are afraid of hurting people's feelings." There it was. The warm feeling again. Richard is looking at her as if she's the most fascinating thing in the world.

There was silence, you can only hear their breathing. They both are in the time and space where nothing existed, just the two of them.

However, the moment was interrupted when the grandfather started chiming to signal that it is already 6 in the evening. It is also an indication that they have to end their getting to know session for today.

Richard always leaves at nightfall, and returns just before dawn. Maine does not know where he goes but she does not ask question about that anymore. One time she tried, Richard's mood suddenly change she almost got a whiplash. After that, she didn't broach on the topic anymore. She is still curious as to where he goes whenever he leaves but she never asked. He will tell her if she wants her to know, and he has reassured her that he is not some drug lord or criminal that is dealing with illegal things. And she believed him.

It's out of character for Maine, everything she's been doing the past few days is out of character for her. She can't help but she finds it super easy to get along with Richard. She actually finds the days passing by faster when she is spending it with him.

There is this irresistible pull that she can't help but gravitate towards him. She looks forward to every morning when she knows that she will be seeing him again, and dreads every night when she knows that he will be leaving again.