Prologue

Prologue

Kiara is White Wolf Clan, and is fifteen summers old. Kiara's father, Neko was also White Wolf Clan, and her mother, Tala, was Red Fox Clan. Kiara also has a sister named Nala, who is eighteen summers old. Kiara and her family lived with the White Wolf Clan until she was eight summers old. That fall there was a great forest fire which wiped out the entire White Wolf Clan, including her father, Neko, who was the clan leader. Tala was greatly injured in the fire but managed to get her children to safety before dying at the River Otter's camp. Before Tala died she spoke with the River Otter mage and leader about the care of her daughters.

"Great River Otter leader, and mage, I ask of you a great task." She had said, and they had nodded their heads, willing to hear what this woman had to say.

"My oldest daughter, Nala, I want her to have an official mate when she is nineteen summers old,but my youngest daughter, Kiara, she is different. She has a gift from the Great Forest. If others find out what she can do, they will ether kill her or they will use her power against the forest or the clans. You must not let her venture into the forest alone, but more importantly, she must not touch a weapon." She breathed out heavily.

"We will try our best, but you know clan law, when an orphan is fifteen summers old without a potential mate, they must be outcasted, unless one is willing to take her in as there foster child." The River Otter mage had said.

"Thank you great River Otter Clan, I am at peace, knowing my daughters are in good hands..."she had said with her very last breath.

Death marks were placed on her forehead around her heart and on her heals to keep her three souls together for the death journey. Kiara watched her sister and the River Otter Clan as they carried her mother off in to the forest. Kiara had been too young to go close to the body. Kiara would be too weak to fight her mother's souls if they tried to slip into her own body.

As the years went by Nala, Kiara's sister, fell in love with the clan leader's son, Kovu. They were declared mates when they turned nineteen summers old.