Chapter 13

Chapter 13 - A Wild Ride

"Are we ready to go?" asked Kiara as she wrapped the left over scraps of meat from the wren they had cooked, and placed it into her pack.

"Yah..." Koda replied hesitantly.

"Storm, Alue, Luca, Echo, come!" she yelled.

The three wolves trotted into the clearing, and sat down in front of her. Kiara felt Storm nudge her back and she turned around to stroke the black mare's face. Koda walked up to the mare's side and leaned on Storm's back, attempting to get on. Storm pinned her ears back, stomped her front hoof and swished her tail into his face.

"Koda, you can't just simply hop onto Storm's back. You have to show her that she can trust you."

"How do I do that?"

"Well, you could let her see you first, horses can't see directly behind them."

Koda walked over and stood beside Kiara, who was still stroking Storm's face.

"Ok, now what?" he asked wishing that they could get this over with already.

"Do you trust me?"

"Um... yah I guess?"

"Good..." she said as she placed her free hand over top of his and pulled up so that it was in front of the mare's face.

"Whoa! What are you doing?!" Koda said in a shaky voice.

"Just trust me, ok?" Kiara replied,

The mare blew her hot breath over his hand and Koda shivered with fear. The mare then pressed her nose onto his hand but Koda pulled away seconds later, not wanting to touch the horse. Kiara sighed and lead Koda to the mare's side and showed him how to get on, and slide back off so Koda could give it a try.

"Now you try, take some of her mane in your hand so you can pull yourself up easer." She instructed. Koda fallowed her instructions and got up with ease.

"Good, now give her neck a pat, and gently squeeze with your legs, and ask her to walk on." She said,

Koda stroked the mare's neck and squeezed his legs gently into her sides, "Walk on Storm." He said as instructed and the mare responded and moved forward at a slow pace.

"Good, now gently pull her mane in the direction you want to go, try turning right."

Koda pulled on Storm's main with his right hand, and she turned with him.

"Now, keep her moving in a circle while I grab our stuff."

Koda continued to walk Storm around until Kiara called her over. Kiara passed Koda his pack, bow, quiver and axe. Kiara slung her sack over her shoulders, along with the bow and quiver, and strapped her father's axe to her belt.

"Koda, could you slide back a bit for me?" she asked,

"Sure," he said as he shifted his body back until she had enough room to get on. Kiara gripped Storm's mane and pushed herself up onto the mare's back. She gave Storm a pat on the neck and spoke to her quietly.

"Hey girl, we have a long way to run, could you take us there?" Kiara asked the mare.

"Yes! We haven't went running in a long time! I'm ready when you are!" the mare replied excitedly.

"What direction?" she asked turning her head to look at Koda for an answer.

"West," replied Koda.

"Alue, Luca, Echo, fallow." She said to the wolves, and then she turned to Koda again, "You might want to hold on to my waist." Kiara said blushing at Koda, who gave her a worried look.

"You ready girl?" Kiara asked Storm, patting her neck, and the mare whinnied in response and stomped her foot. "Alright, let's go!" Kiara said giving Storm a hard squeeze with her legs. Storm reared and bolted west. Koda screamed and buried his face into Kiara's jerkin. She chuckled to herself and smiled as she steered Storm through the winding forest. Koda started to relaxed and looked back to see the wolves fallowing them.