Chapter 24

Chapter 24 – She Has Returned

 Koda clenched his chest as he sucked in more air, his legs ached from sprinting so fast, as he made his back to the shelter. The scream echoed in his mind, it was full of fear and terror. Koda felt a tug on his foot, and he let out a startled yelp as he crashed to the ground. He shook his foot and untangled it from the rot. Koda stumbled to his feet. Regaining his balance he started to run again. Koda stumbled into the clearing and fell to his knees.

Koda trembled in shock, fear, hate, and anger. Who could do something like this! This wasn’t human, this was evil. Koda didn’t move he was too scared to, he didn’t dare look away at the sight before him.

He saw the shelter ripped to shreds, and Luca’s body torn to pieces. There was blood everywhere. Koda looked to his left, and saw the piece of deerskin he and Kiara had stretched between two trees. It was the only thing not ripped to pieces, but instead it had a message written in blood on it.

Koda read the message and froze in terror, it said; “EOSTRA HAS RETURNED”

‘That’s not possible! My father killed her! She is dead!’ Koda’s thoughts screamed at him.

Koda rummaged through the wreckage trying to find some evidence that Kiara was alive, and he did. Written on her untouched sleeping sack, in blood, read; “THE POWER OF THE FOREST GIRL WILL BE MINE!”

That’s when it hit him. He remembered his mother saying she had powers but never learned to use them. Eostra was going to take Kiara’s powers away from her, just like she had tried with his father.

Koda jumped up and grabbed all the supplies he could find. He knew where Eostra was headed. It was the same place where his father almost died, The Mountain of Ghosts.