Chapter 27

Chapter 27 – Hachi

Koda wrapped his hands tightly in the stallion’s mane and pulled back with all he had. His arms felt like they were being torn in two. Strides away from the cliff edge the stallion dug his hooves into the ground and skidded to a stop, just in time. Koda collapsed on the stallion’s neck and let out a sigh of relief, as he gently patted the stallion’s neck. Koda sat up and pulled the stallion’s mane and turned him around and walked back to the stream. He then walked the stallion across the river and back to the camp.

“Whoa! Since when did you get a forest horse? How are you riding it! That is amazing!” said Delsin excitedly.

“Since this morning, come on lets go I want to get at least half way there by sunset.” Replied Koda.

“Ok, ok. Put on this parka, while I go get our packs and a rope so we can tie your horse up.” Delsin said as he walked into the shelter. Koda dismounted the stallion and changed in to the parka. “So does this fine stallion have a name?” asked Delsin as he returned from the shelter carrying there packs.

“No, I haven’t really thought about it. Maybe Hachi… since I found him by a stream.”

“Alright then, Hachi it is.”

“Shall we head off?” Koda asked as he checked his pack to make sure there was a parka for Kiara.

“After you.” Delsin replied as he placed the packs onto the horse’s back.

They both mounted Hachi and road northwest until the sun started to set. They set up camp and tied Hachi up to a tree. Koda called for Alue and Echo, and heard Howls in the distance.

“Pack-brother, we hunt!” They called.

“Pack meet at dawn.” Koda called back in wolf, he got howls in reply but he could not make what they said.

Koda lied down in his sleeping sack, and fell asleep knowing that Eostra would only be a day’s walk away from them.