Chapter Nine

I would like to thank Alexlovespie for editing this! This is the first chapter she has edited, and is working on my other nine. THANK YOU!!!                                             Ariel
******************************************************************************************************** Of course, our request got declined, so Clove and I go back to the training center. Once we get there, I see that both the knife and spear throwing stations are occupied, so I look around for anything else I want to do. "Do you want to go and spy, while I work on stuff, like, food or fires or something?" Clove asks me.
"Sure." I walk away to an obstacle course. There are three in here, all surrounded by ginormous bubbles. I look inside, past bricks, cement, logs and a whole bunch of other random stuff, to find a very fast girl. Every time she jumps over an obstacle she never falls, except once, when I ask her where she learned to do that last move.
She jumps back and hollers at me, "And where did you learn to throw a spear like that?!" She can tell that I want information, and she will not give in.
"Can I at least know your name?"
"No."
"Why not?" I am starting to get annoyed. But since District four isn't helping us, the Careers are small this year. I will need help.
"You will get something out of that! Duh..." She is trying to annoy me. Ha! And she is inside the bubble, so I cannot touch her either. Now I really want her on my team, she is clever.
"The Career pack is running low this year...would you like to join?" She thinks it over for a while, then agrees. "That is why I wanted your name, mine is Cato by the way." She nods and goes back to her course. Dumb girl...well...not dumb, smart! She is smart, and that is not good. I will use her until the other tribute's numbers are low, then kill her when she is not expecting it. Will she even be good with weapons? Or is she going to have to spy on tributes, or collect eggs from trees? Oh well, she is needed.
I notice a crippled boy and feel sad. I will stay away from him because I don't want to kill him. Then I notice a girl from Six, I think. She is thin, and has dots all over her. She is ill. What is wrong with these people?! I think. Why can't they substitute for the sick, or crippled? Then there is a boy from Eight. He catches my eye. He has a spike ball on a rope, and once he throws it it sticks in the dummy's throat. I am tempted to go talk to him, but he falls over immediately after throwing it. He will get killed, so I decide not to talk to him.
I head over to the next station down. Explosives. I see a kid from Ten messing around with wires, then with a press of a little button, a haystack bursts to flames outside the window. "You got anything at least challenging for me?" He asks the teacher. He stutters for a second, and the kid nods in disapproval, then walks away. If it comes down to it, I could need him. Yes, I do need him. He will wire up explosives, and traps for our food's protection. I quickly come to his side.
"Do you want to be with the Careers this year?" I question. He looks at me in disbelief.
"Of course!..... What do I have to do?"
"You will be in charge of setting up traps, and explosives. Is that okay?"
"Yup." And he walks away. He probably didn't want to have me change my mind.
Well, now we have a normal sized group. Actually, we are one big. I forgot about Peeta. I decide to go check out what him and katniss are doing. Hopefully no more knot-tying. Well, they are at the weight lifting station, and it's relieving to find that Peeta wasn't lying about his strength. He picks up a 50lb weight, and throws it a good twenty yards easily. I wonder what his limit is. Katniss is struggling with a 45lb weight with both hands. I wonder if she can do anything. After a little while, they move on to knives. Peeta throws it, and it hits the dummy's stomach. An easy target, but a good shot. Katniss throws and hits right where the painted heart is. She is a good shot. She backs up a few yards and hits right on the edge of the heart. Little bit more, and it hits the heart one more time. She is right in front of the eleven yard line when she misses. The knife goes flying and hits right next to a tribute's foot. When the tribute gets mad at her, she doesn't say that she is sorry. She will be a challenge, but not impossible. I think that Clove will be happy with me.
I tell her the basics, she tells me a few things about fires and berries, then we go to our floor. We go to my room, and sleep. The day has been very hard. I dream that Katniss it throwing the knives toward me, but they can't penetrate my skin, unless she is a certain distance back. She keeps scooting back three yards at a time, then finally she is eleven yards back. Katniss throws the knife; it makes it passed the invisible barrier. As soon as it touches my skin I jolt awake. Clove's finger has crossed over my chest and right where the the knife hit.                                           

                                                                               Katniss can't kill me.