Chapter Twenty-three

I cant sleep tonight. I sit staring in the direction we came from. Trying to spot little Rue making her way towards me. I know she helped destroy the supplies, but I really dont care any more. I really don't. All I want is to have her back. To have my sister back. To be with my family.

But that is never going to happen.

The Capitol sent me here to die. Like they send Brutis all those years ago.

To die.

To get rid of a problem.

Maybe not....

They want me in pain. They want me to win. To watch everyone die.

To watch Clove die.

I was fifteen and bored. I walked around, and had nothing to do. It was raining, and I left the house after listening to Pearl's raindrop song a few times. I splashed around in muddy puddles and rolled around on the wet grass. I got bored though, just like all kids do. So I decided to do something, something that seemed pretty harmless... well it wasn't.

I walked over to the Mayor's house and grabbed a sharpie. I wrote on the side "The Capitol is a place of torture! A place where nobody is happy! Except the Capitol People! If  you love your District you will rise up with me and END the Capitol! We have the Peacekeepers! We have the weapons! We can manage! Kill the Capitol!" Then I signed it in the Mayor's name. I had just barely gotten home from my trip that I had to deal with the awful Maxie.... and I hated the Capitol.

Well, the next day, everyone saw it and panicked. The President was called and he watched the tapes I didn't know about. He came to my house and talked to me. "You did this and you are going to pay." I didn't let him say anything else, I spit straight at his face and walked out.

The next day, a peacekeeper marched into my room and tried to take me away. Me, being large for my age, even back then, could fight.

I killed the Peacekeeper with his own gun.

The next day there was a note on my desk. It read. "We know what happened. You will pay when you are old enough to start working." Signed by the president. I completely forgot about it until this very moment.

I throw my fist up in the air and slam it down on the ground. I jump up, startling Clove and tell her to go back to sleep. That I just need to run. I run to the trees, far enough so that  Clove wont hear me and start to scream.

"I know what your doing President Snow! Ive figured it out! I can defeat your Games! I can! Clove is going to win! She will! You will see! You will not get me out of this! You will not kill everyone I love! I WILL WIN! Clove will make it out and I will win!" I scream so loud it hurts my throat.

A parachute falls from the sky with nothing but a note. It reads, " I make the rules. I decide the Games. You will not win. I will. I always do! Clove will die, just like the little girl did. Only you will watch, you will watch up close. It will be painful and kill you inside. You should have just died when you were fifteen Cato. This, this is much worse than death."

I stumble forwards a little. "You! You don't even know her name! Her name is Rue! She is from Twelve! She is the kindest person I have ever met and you killed her! I will kill you Snow! I will!" No I wont. To do that, I have to make it out. Maybe that will be my death wish to Clove. Kill Snow.

I run around the woods, slicing trees and animals. When a silver parachute falls with a duffel bag I refuse it immediately, until I see Brutis and Enobaria's handwriting on a note. It just says Thought you might want with with your supplies running low and all..." then they signed their names.