16th☀

16th☀

"You two know each other?" Mijoo asked, looking from Younghui to Yejun repeatedly. She turned to Younghui this time and said, "You've never told me you know him, unnie."

Younghui avoided eye contact by turning to her side, looking away from everyone. "You didn't tell me he was coming, Kwon Mijoo."

"I don't even know you know him," Mijoo said, looking at her cousin with a confused face. When her cousin refused to say anything, she turned to Yejun this time. "Oppa, do you know her?"

I looked at Yejun as well. From his eyes, I could see something flickering there—regret. I started to make my own assumptions, but I decided it wasn't the best idea. It wasn't my life to interfere. They had their own stories they had to hide. It was best not to be too nosy. 

Yejun's lips slowly parted as he shakily said, "Younghui... I'm— I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to meet like this again."

Younghui still wasn't looking at anyone. She found the ground more interesting than the majority of us that was standing around. "Forget it. Everyone, let's just get into the car and head on over to my mom's pension quietly, okay? I don't want to talk to you, Yejun. Please sit in the farthest back."

Yejun surprisingly didn't refuse and quickly climbed in the car first and took a seat in the last row. Mijoo whispered something to her cousin, probably something within the lines of, 'Let's talk later.'

Talk about an awkward encounter. This was not how I pictured our first day would start off as. But trips were like that. There was always going to be an unexpected event that will happen. After all, every trip wasn't perfect, no matter how much you planned for it. No matter how prepared you are, unexpected events will come eventually. 

The rest of us entered the mini van and sat in the back awkwardly. The atmosphere was as cold as ice. I didn't think it would be a good idea if I were to talk right at this very moment. 

The mini van had three rows at the back, excluding the driver's seat and passenger seat. The very last row was used to put our luggage bags and everything. The second last row was where Hansol, Yejun and I occupied. The first row was where Wonwoo, Mijoo and Myeong were sitting. 

Mijoo was the one who tried to make everything seem okay. Because that was her job. Rainbows and unicorns, remember? 

"Uncle! I just remembered I left a few CDs in your glove compartment. How about we play some music?" Mijoo suggested, leaning forward so that she was leaning against the front row seats. 

"Well, did you hear that, Seungkwan? Check the compartment," her uncle responded, his eyes still fixed on the road. 

"Okay," Seungkwan answered, opening the glove compartment. 

While Seungkwan was taking his time trying to find what CD to play, I was trying to get used to sitting next to Hansol at a very close space. There were no gaps left between us. It was basically thighs to thighs and shoulders to shoulders. 

I tried to breath in and out, calming myself because my insides were literally getting warmed up, leaving no space that wasn't warmed up. The feeling was overwhelming, but it made me want to smile. I held a hand up, pretending that I was about to sneeze but I was just covering up a smile. 

The mini van's speakers started playing a noise. It was muffling at first; it sounded like a working microphone stuffed inside someone's pants as they were doing laps around a field. Slowly, a voice started singing. They were shy, but they sang anyway. Their voice was soft and delicate, and though it was lacking confidence, they continued singing.