Chapter 3

Detective McCoy's pov

The next day the boss asked for a meeting with me, it looks like I will have another partner and a new mission. An old man like me, at 47 I'm not that keen on having some extra large mission. I just want to keep things clear until I retire.

"Detective, take a seat. As we both know the red painted neighborhood, as everyone calls it, has been taken over by someone new, and lately some bodies came up, 5 to be exact. My sources tell me that some of Alessando's men are not happy with the change. You will receive a new partner in investigating these crimes, he's from Texas, quite a charming fella'. I bet you will go along really well. Take him on a tour and explain everything to him. I know we can't do much about it but let's hope a new face will help things." A Texas ranger, really? This guys are crazy.

"When will he arrive?" I hope the boss will give me some time to change his mind.

"In two hours. Get his office ready. Let him take a breath and then get to work." The boss shook my hand and walked me out of the office.

Why should I get his office ready? What am I, the cleaning lady?

 I went to the kitchen and made myself a coffee. This Sasha has caused a bit of commotion in the neighborhood, I don't know why but the other families are not getting involved in her things, the Greek did not even lift a finger when she took the position while the Mexicans they didn't even bothered with her, no connections, no calls no nothing. Maybe everyone is underestimating this woman. 

The hours passed and the new guy entered the section as if he owned the place, tall muscular, blonde hair, blue eyes, Colgate smile, his face shaven like a baby's but. 

"Partner!" he saluted and shook my hand. Oh the golden boy should be ready for the rodeo of his life. 

"Welcome to the station, Mr Jack Evans. I'm Nick McCoy, we will be working together. Right this way." I showed him his new office. 

"Daaamn you people have nice offices, we only had desks in Texas. And what a view! Nice! Happy to be here!" the guy was excited. How old was he 28-30? He looked a bit like my baby brother.  

I chuckled "Indeed we have. So listen get comfortable and meet me in the next room, it's the conference office, in 20 minutes. We have business to catch up to." So I left to get something to eat. This guy looked interesting. A breath of fresh air? We'll see. 

I went and bought a sandwich from Rona's and entered the deposit, "Hellen, hi I would like all the files for the Red painted Neighborhood. I got a new partner and I need to train him a bit." I like Hellen she was 42 single, pretty red hair, tiny waist, I wanted to ask her out on a date but somehow I ended up not doing that. 

She smiled when she saw me "Sure thing, give me a second." and left in a hurry. After 10 minutes she came back with a box full of papers.

"Here you are, if you need anything else please come by." her cheeks started to heat up, I think she also likes me. I'm such a moron. 

I smiled took the box and entered the conference office. The rascal had his feet on the desk, he was listening to music and he was waggling with his chair.  I threw the box in his lap, that scared him and he almost landed on the floor. 

"Now listen up, feet on the floor, eyes on me! This is not a joke, what we are dealing here is serious." I took a seat at the table. 

A picture of Sasha landed on the floor, she was searing a black suit, her hair loose, black lipstick and a pair of sunglasses. 

"Woooow, are we spying on models now? Is this what you New Yorkers do for fun?" 

I mentally face-palmed myself this guy will get himself killed in New York. 

"Listen, shut up and listen. She is our mission. She's no model, name: Sasha and that's it no other name, female billionaire she turned up in New York a couple of months ago, bought 2 mega companies and somehow entered the mafia. She is now the leader of the Red Painted neighborhood, the worst neighborhood on the fucking planet. Don't let her looks fool you, we think this woman killed 5 people."  I took one envelope from the pile. 

"This is the info we have about her: Her first record is from when she came to New York, we do not know where she was born, what's her last name, where she got the money, we tried every state, every police station every credit card, nothing. No trace. What we surely know is that the woman showed up at the Red Velvet club 3 days after Alessandro died. She entered the place like she was the owner. A source told us she had a bag full of money and gold ingots. Big shot money." The kid was silent, his eyes glued to the information, good I got his attention.

"This is not a joke, we have no information about her past just her present. We don't know why the other mafia families are not acting up to take the neighborhood from a woman. You know these guys, they are killers, what does a woman have against them, is that the case? We don't know. The streets have been silenced the moment this woman entered New York." 

"After she entered the club and went straight to the office, she knew what she was doing but no one ever saw her in the club, except the day she came and took everything. There was a meeting that day with all the mafia heads, we couldn't make anyone talk about it. No one wants to talk about it, they all say it didn't happen but we have proof from one of our people from the inside of the club. Only the mafia heads participated, 5 men and her. They all left after an hour of discussion. We don't know what she told them. We would like to find out more about this Sasha." I looked at the kid, he couldn't take his eyes away from her pictures, who could? 

"Ok, can I take these with me to study a bit today?" his face was serious, well it's a good change.

"Sure thing, but we are going for a ride through the neighborhood in an hour so if you need me until then I'm down the hall" I smiled and left the room. Let the party begin.

Author note: Jack's picture