Chapter Eight

I Promise

Malaika Kya

"I can't believe you transported us here."

"I can't believe you still care."

Sending Beowulf an annoyed glare, I scratched the back of my head as Hawk's mama buried herself into the ground. "So this is the City of the Dead" Diane proclaimed as she gazed around. "D-dead?!" I heard Bastet exclaim. "Just how is this empty village the City of the Dead?" Hawk wondered as he gazed around as well. I sighed as I lifted my body in the air, my arms connected behind my head as I floated above the ground. "From what I e heard, this is the closest village to the City of the Dead" I heard Meliodas inform as I began to wander off.

"Anyways, let's open the bar and gather information on King and the City."

"So its true that you're waitin' on tables."

"Captain is so handsome when he's working!"

Chuckling lightly, I glanced over towards the group as Meliodas began giving out roles to everyone.

"Diane, you're in charge of attracting the customers! Ban, you're in charge of the food! Bastet, you're in charge of catering the customers with Elizabeth! And Malaika-"

"I refuse."

Waving a nonchalant hand above my head, I set my feet on the ground before going deeper into the deserted village. "Cap'n has to be kidding. Besides, how can we get any info in a run-down place like this?" I heard Ban think out loud as he appeared behind me. Making eye contact, I blinked in surprise as he walked up beside me. "Coming with me on an adventure, I see?" I jokingly asked as I gave the former Bandit a cheeky smirk. I chuckled as he refused to make eye contact with me, a light blush gracing his cheeks as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Whatever..." He murmured. Giving him a brief glance, I ignored Diane's loud chanting about the bar as I began humming The Seven Deadly Sins.

"Wrath, Envy, Greed
Sloth, Lust, Pride, and Gluttony
The seven sins that came to be"

Squeaking out in surprise, I gazed at Ban with wide eyes as he jerked me around to face him. "How do you know that song?" He growled out as his hold on my shoulders tighten. Letting my face show an aloof expression, I shrugged his hands off of me before placing my hands behind my head again.

"All sins are grave
All sins are neat
They are the sins that never admit defeat"

"Oi, Malaika. I'm talking to you" the red eyed man stared as I began walking away. "And that's why I'm ignoring you" I responded as I caught sight of a little girl. I stopped in my tracks as an image of Elaine flashed before my eyes, my arms going limp as they hanged by my sides.

"Will they save us?
Will they kill us?
Wonders all think are near"

"Little one..." I whispered before gasping lightly as the little girl turned around. Blinking repeatedly, I quickly rubbed the sprouting tears from my eyes as Ban walked up to me again. "Why'd you stop?" I heard him question as I avoided eye contact with him. Clenching my hands into fists, I placed a fake smile of my lips before giving him my attention. "Just thought I saw someone I knew" I responded before walking up to the girl as she fell to the ground.

"Wrath, Envy, Greed
Sloth, Lust, Pride, and Gluttony
They are the seven sins that came to be"

Picking her up, I held the spirit gently in my arms before looking over towards the abandoned house in front of me. Blinking in amusement, I raised an eyebrow at the young male spirit as he held a pitchfork up and me and an upcoming Ban. "What the hell? What are kids doing here?" He wondered out loud as he gazed at the unconscious child in my arms. "You'll know soon enough once we open the gate" I muttered as the child ordered me to let go of his sister.