Chapter 3: John's back

John's POV:

As quietly as possible, I unlocked the front door in hope that I could sneak back in without having to face Sherlock just yet. I opened the door and there he was. He stood with his hands in his trouser pockets, with a guilty look upon his face.

Loudly in the silence of the flat, my stomach grumbled. I looked up and met Sherlock's piercing eyes. An amused smile formed on his lips at the strange sound.

Slowly, the smile faded and he went back to being his usual serious self and said, "John. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. Where have you been all of this time?"

"Around," I grumbled, "Haven't you got work to be doing?"

Without another word, Sherlock walked away to sit back on the sofa with his beloved laptop. He seemed to get the idea that I didn't want to talk to him.

Sherlock's POV:

John was very grumpy and I got the impression that he didn't want to talk to me right now so I just left him to get on with whatever he wanted to do. I still planned to work on this case of finding out John's love but I wouldn't let him know that, I didn't want to upset him again.

I slung myself onto the sofa with my laptop perched on my knee and cup of tea in one hand.

I was sat pondering what I should write on my email to Mycroft when suddenly the door bell rang. As I stood up to answer it, John walked out of the kitchen and got there before me. He opened the door to reveal a very flustered Mrs Hudson.

"Hello John, sorry I forgot to pick up my key so I had to ring the doorbell." She explained in a rush.

"Are you ok, Mrs Hudson? You seem very stressed?" I stood behind John as he asked.

"Yes, I agree with John." I stated.

"Yes, I'm fine thank you. I've just had a very busy day and I keep forgetting things." She replied, now more calmly.

We helped carry in her shopping bags and sat her down at the kitchen table. John began making us all cups of tea while I went back to work in the front room.

"What's this I hear about you and your secret lover?" I heard Mrs Hudson say to John quietly. They were trying to be discreet but I could still hear them.

"Oh dear God! Now you know as well! This is great!" He exclaimed in a whisper.

"Who is it John? Why's it such a secret?" She enquired. They really needed to work on their discreetness skills.

"I can't tell you his name," Oh so it's a male, I thought as I listened, but who? Maybe it was someone from the pub. He often went to the pub nowadays. That would explain why he stormed out, he was ashamed. He didn't want to admit that he was gay. Now all I needed to do was find out who he was.

Silently, I started to plan my next moves to find out more information. I could follow him to the pub next time he goes but not let him know I'm there. Yes, that was what I would do. Hopefully I would find some new and helpful information about this mystery man.

I would check his every move for clues. His outfits, any special aftershave, anything out of the ordinary really. I needed clues to work this out. I am Sherlock Holmes for Gods sake, surely it wouldn't take me long to work this case out.

To be continued...