Chapter 7: The Escape

John's POV:

Sherlock and I were still alone in this room, still tied up. Nobody had come in, no sound had been made by anyone other than Sherlock and I talking. Even though I was tied to a chair, I couldn't have been unhappy. Sherlock loved me back and we both knew about our love for each other. This is amazing, I thought, I never expected today to turn out like it did. I felt tears of happiness gather in my eyes but I wouldn't let them fall, not in front of Sherlock.

"John, it's ok. Cry, I won't think any less of you. I can't possibly think anything other than delightful and lovely thoughts about you John. I know this sounds sappy, and you know full well I don't do sappy, but you are the love of my life. I live for you John. Without you here, I probably wouldn't be here today. I wouldn't be alive because I hated my life before you became part of it. Please don't ever think that I could think any less of you. You're the strongest man I have had the pleasure of meeting. I love you and always will, John Watson." As Sherlock finished, my tears were released and rolled slowly down my cheeks.

"I-i love you too Sherlock," I stuttered out between sobs. Suddenly, in the silence other than the sounds of my quiet sobs, came the sound of footsteps. I quickly wiped my tears away and straightened up in the chair.

"Ah here we go, he's arrived finally." Sherlock announced as I looked at him questioningly.

Sherlock turned to me and noticed my confused expression and smiled sheepishly, "Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you. I left a note with Mrs Hudson to give to Mycroft when he arrived at the flat. On the note it explained what had happened and to track my phone and come and get us. I knew he would be able to track my phone because, of course he's done it quite a few times before, being the annoying older brother. Oh yes, sorry I forgot to mention this morning that Mycroft was coming on a quick visit to the flat later today because he had something to tell us, big news apparently."

Not a minute later, the door swung open and there stood Mycroft Holmes and his umbrella. He strode right into the room to stand in front of Sherlock and I.

"Dear oh dear brother mine. What have you got yourself into this time?" Mycroft teased Sherlock.

"Just get us out of here before Moriarty comes back and finds you here." Sherlock snapped at his brother, losing his patience.

Mycroft immediately drew out his pocket knife from his breast pocket of his suit jacket and walked behind the chairs. He began to steadily slice through the rope holding my hands together behind my back.

Once I was freed from that awfully uncomfortable chair, I leapt up and walked over to Sherlock. I cupped his face in the palms of my hands and moved my face towards his.

"I love you Sherlock Holmes" I whispered and closed the small gap between the handsome detectives face and mine. Our lips met and we kissed passionately. This kiss felt different to any other kiss, it felt electric. I'd never felt like this before with anyone. My eyes closed as we kissed. Both of us had forgotten Mycroft was still in the room, cutting Sherlock free, until we heard a short cough.

Embarrassed, we broke away, grinning at each other and turned to face a very shocked Mycroft.

"Thank you for your assistance Mycroft, you may leave now," Sherlock tried to get rid of Mycroft but then Mycroft reminded him, "In case you've forgotten, you're still being held captive so we have to find a way out of here without using the main exits."

We all searched the room, but no walls held windows or secret doors. I glanced up at the ceiling and spotted a large ventilation system.

"Why don't we try that air vent up there? We can stand on one of the chairs and climb through the ventilation system." I suggested and Sherlock's face lit up.

"You're a genius, John" He said and planted a light kiss on the top of my head. I smiled proudly and pulled the chair under the vent.

Sherlock was the tallest so we decided it would be best if he tried prising the vent away from the ceiling so we could enter it. He stood on the chair and easily wedged the vent cover off and handed it to me to place on the floor.

Sherlock climbed down from the chair and swapped places with me. He lifted me gently but effortlessly from the chair and up into the vent. Next was Mycroft, who was easier because I could help by pulling him up as well. Then Sherlock stood on the chair and pulled himself up with a little help from myself and Mycroft.

The tunnels of the vents were quite dark so we all produced our phones from our pockets and put on the torches. We crawled, one behind the other, through the vents for what seemed like miles.

Finally, Sherlock came to a stop over another vent cover and announced "I think this is where we should get down. I will jump down first and then I can be there to support you two at the bottom just in case."

Once again he prised the vent cover away and peered down. From my view, I could see a table below the vent. Maybe an operating table.

Sherlock's POV:

I prepared myself to jump the few metres down to the ground. If this went wrong I could be seriously injured but it was the only way to get out.

I sat precariously on the edge of the vent and slipped myself down. Swiftly, I landed on my feet on some sort of table. I glanced around the room to work out where I was and spotted a woman with her back turned to me. She seemed to be wearing a white lab coat and studying something under a light. As I jumped down from the table to the floor, the woman turned around at the sound of my feet.

There in front of me stood a very bewildered looking Molly Hooper. Both of us froze in our positions as we took in the circumstances of our meeting.

"S-Sherlock?" She asked in a shaky whisper.

"Molly." I acknowledged her, "Sorry about that. I'll explain another time. Oh yes and you can come down now John and Mycroft!" I yelled up to the two men still in the vent.

If possible, Molly looked even more bewildered than before as, one after the other, John and Mycroft jumped down and landed on the table just like I had.

"Nice to see you again Molly but we must be off now, sorry for the disturbance, goodbye" I said casually as I strode out of the morgue leaving Molly still frozen in her previous position. Mycroft and John were following closely behind as we exited the building.

"I'll call her later and explain." John assured Mycroft as they both knew that I wouldn't do it even if I said I would.

Outside the building, I hailed a cab and we drove off to 221b Baker Street after one very eventful day in the life of Sherlock Holmes.