Fight

The road stretched before us, my hand in his is the only promise I can give him that I will stick by him. The whole ride home I felt like if been kicked in the stomach by my aching heart. My brain kept telling me how ignorant I am for staying by him. I practically slept in his bed and now I would have to deal with the consequences. I just hope that he'd drive off before dad noticed that there was a man in the drive seat.. oh how I wish I didn't know any better. His hand tightened around mine a few times as we drive. The warmth of it comforted me to an extent but I still had this nervousness about everything.

His hat shadowed his eyes so I had no idea what he was thinking but as I watched, he kept clinching his jaw. Knowing this didn't seem to help my growing fear any. To be truthful, it worried me Alittle more because it meant he was just as worried as I... If not more worried.

When we pulled into the drive way I noticed that the light in my bedroom was on and there was a shadow creeping around slowly. My mind ventured off to my hidden diary and it caused an almost panic attack. Joshua reached for my hand, now Alittle damp with sweat and looked at Me. "I'll walk you inside, okay?" I tried shaking my head but I felt paralyzed and was unable to move from my seat. He got out of the car and came to unlock my door and then helped me out of the truck.

Before we even got to the door, dad had it open and pushed me away from Joshua. Joshua's eyes filled with shock, then instant anger.

As they began to holler, mom came out of the house with a towel in her hand, seeing the scene before her, she dripped the towel and pulled dad away from Joshua.

My heart ached and fear made me swallow any words I wanted to say. I watched as dad shoved mom into the wall and punched Joshua in the jaw. As he went down, dad got on top of him, throwing multiple blows to Joshua's head and then blood started to cover the pavement.

Mom, frozen in shock didn't move to help so I did what I could. Pushing myself off the wall, I yanked dad away from Joshua and pushed him against the door, closest to mom. Avoiding looking at Joshua, I glared at the man I called dad. In his eyes hatred echoed and

I knew that no matter what he'd never fully understand my feelings.

Brushing off tears that I didn't know had been cried, I turned to Joshua who was laying on the ground looking up at Me. I feel to my knees beside him and looked up at mom. "Can you get me a rag.... and alcohol?" when she just looked at dad, I felt anger boil in my stomach. "I am asking nicely, mother! Stop looking at your no good husband and get me the things I asked for!" Finally she hurried into the house. Dad looked at Me and slapped me hard on the right cheek. "How dare you speak to your mother that way!" I ignored him as mom came out and handed me what I asked for.

Cleaning his cuts, his finger tips trailed up my thigh slowly and I looked down at him. "I'm so sorry." I whispered, tears threatening to escape from my eyes. He grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes.

Telling me everything would be alright.

Joshua's POV

My head hurt and I knew I should probably give up on her. But, I seen the way she looked down at Me when she cleaned off all of the blood. She looked at Me with such love and I swear it was like she never wanted to be there. It was all I could do not to turn the truck around and pick her up at the end of her dirt road. but, I knew that I couldn't. I seen him hit her and I knew that no matter what, she still would not leave. It is like there is a part of her that feels like it will stop.

I wanted to leave and run away from her but I knew that was only the pain talking. Or was it? Wouldn't any other man leave after being beaten by a man who is protective of his daughter? Maybe I just never knew how I felt but now... I feel like I may actually have fallen.

I think I've fallen in love.