Comatose

Joshua's POV

Tires screeched and I heard glass shatter. Before I knew it I was being turned upside down, violently thrown left to right. My head slammed against the steering wheel and finally. The car stopped.

I heard sirens approaching and people began gathering around my car. I couldn't stay awake. I heard people yelling and talking to one another but I couldn't comprehend anything. As the police arrived, I slipped into unconsciousness.

Dani's POV

I woke up to the loud ring of my cell phone and reached over before it could make enough noise to wake up my dad. Looking at the caller ID, I began to panic. My mind raced to Chey and if she was okay.

"Hello, Ms. Smith I am sorry for the time but we have Mr. Grant here with us and... well, he was in a car wreck. When the paramedics got to him, he was unconscious. I'm sorry to inform you that he is in a coma." The words seemed to roll so easily off her tongue. Like she said them every day instead of this being the first time she ever said them to someone. My knees gave out and I felt my world come crumbing down. Without caring how loud I was, I hurried and got dressed then ran out to my car. Bumping into my dad, who tried to catch me as I slammed the door, then jumping into my car. I put on my emergency lights and sped through town, not stopping at any of the stop lights and barely hearing the honks from cars that I barely missed as I sped toward the hospital.

By the time the Valet had my car, I had tears slipping down my cheeks and I knew I had to look like a hot mess. I rushed into the waiting room and noticed people glares as they took in the way I was clothed. The receptionist looked at my worried expression and automatically stood to her feet. "I need to know where Joshua Grant's room is please." I said through tears. She looked down at her computer and typed frantically then looked up at Me. "I'm afraid he isn't allowed guest miss." Anger shot through me. "The hell he isn't!" I scream and look at the computer screen. 627 Ican'tbelievethis. I think to myself. I rush through the doors, barely noticing that the receptionist had called security and found the elevator. Before the doors can open completely, I squeeze out of the elevator and rush to his room.

The nurses leave his room and I am able to sneak by them.

Once inside the room, I notice the normal things. The light walls show a hint of homeliness and the curtains let the sun stream through them easily. Everything looks so pleasant till I look at Joshua's bed. I can't help but try to push the link in my throat back down as I glance at his body.

His chest barely moves, bruises and cuts frame his once gentle face and I bite my lip to keep from crying.

The life support is the first machine I see when I look toward his hospital bed. Tears threatened to escape so I quickly wipe them away.

I move a chair by his bed and gather his hand in mine while kissing his palm softly. The nurse comes in and eyes me. "I'm sorry miss. By Mr. Grant is not allowed visitors." She says angrily. Stubbornly, I pull off a ring that my dad bought me for Christmas and show it to her. "I'm his wife and I'd like some time with my husband." I state to her. Her eyes grow wide as I glare at her and she nods then quickly leaves the room.

Moving the tubes away from him, I move so I'm laying beside him. His steady heart beat does little to calm me but I can't help it. I wait the way his chest raises and falls with each breath. I couldn't say how much time passed. The nurses didn't come back again and sometime while I laid with my head on his chest I had fallen asleep. Listening to his heart beat made me feel safe.

I woke around 4 with the nurse in the room. I watched her as she checked his machines and then her icy eyes met Mine. "He will be okay." was all she said. Then she was gone.

That morning I laid with my head on his chest for about 30 minutes then decided I better go get clothes if I was going to be staying here.