Long Wait

It seemed like hours, nothing seemed to help me. I don't eat, sleep, and every time someone visits, they walk in and see my hand holding his. 

Finally, after 4 weeks and two days, i feel his fingers twitch. Half asleep, i look up at him and notice that his eyes are starting to flutter open and i quickly press the nurse button.

In seconds, there are nurses and doctors everywhere. Questions come from various places and i am quickly pushed to the farthest wall. Joshua's eyes meet him and i feel tears roll down my cheek. "Can you hear us?" "How old are you?" "Do you remember your name?" The questions do not stop and my head starts to pound.

After the doctors leave, they pull me out of the room. "Your husband is stable. He should be fine but i think we are going to keep him over night to be sure that he is healing properly." I watch him walk away and then walk back into Joshua's room.

His eyes are closed but he looks so relaxed. When he looks at me, everything I had planned to say just vanished. None of it made sense anymore. I reach for his hand, twining my fingers with his, and sit beside him. "You have something on your mind, don't you?" His voice is scratchy and I flinch. Taking his water from the stand beside the bed, I hold the straw to his lips and let him take a sip.

"I do. I've just had a lot of time to think." I say without meeting his eyes. His finger tips brush mine and I glance at him. "Talk to me, Dani."

I twine my fingers with his again and he runs his thumb over my knuckles. "You've been comatose for Alittle over four weeks. I guess, I just, I felt like this was something to do with me. Maybe your mind was on other things and you weren't paying attention. I had all these words figured out and now I Dont know how to say what I need to say." I glance at him and he nods, allowing me to continue. "You won't understand, but I can't be with you. Hell, I can't be with anyone."

Confusion fills his expression. Before I can explain what I mean, the door opens.

I have trouble breathing and I squeeze Joshua's hand. He glances at the door, following my glare.

My dad stands with a bottle of tequila in his hand and I knew he was possibly worried about me. I hadn't contacted him since everything happened. "What the... Who the hell is this, Danielle?! Is this where you've been?!" I flinch against his accusations and I know what he thinks already.

I can see the pain in his eyes. He feels betrayed and I try to think of words to say.

"Dad…. This is Joshua.." He glares down at me where I'm sitting. "I Dont give a damn who he is!! You're coming home now!"

Joshua's hand tightens around mine. "Please, Dont leave me here alone, Dani." His voice cracks and dads attention turns to him. Fear grips my insides and I stand up, but Joshua's grip just tightens.

"I am staying here dad. Can we please discuss this another time?" He glares at me. Before I know what is happening, dad is gone, but, not before I black out.

Joshua's POV

Anger flares through me when I notice what had happened. Dani lays unconscious beside my bed, glass shattered in her hair and on the floor while blood slowly slides down her eyebrow to the floor.

Before I can move, her dad is gone and the nurse rushes into the room. Confusion fills her expression and she pauses. "Would you please just help her?!" I holler. It doesn't take her long to get other nurses and doctors. They lay her on the bed opposite of mine and I can easily watch them when they finally get her to wake up.

"Can you tell us what happened?" They all asked. Her eyes quickly meet mine and anger flares in her eyes, asking with an unspoken apology. The nurses never get an answer out of her and they eventually leave her alone.

Once we are alone I look at her. "Don't look at Me that way, Joshua." She murmurs, hiding her face from me.

After about thirty minutes of trying to get her to talk to me, she stubbornly rolls on to her side and falls asleep.

I listen to her soft breathing then cut on the TV and try to think of anything besides what I just seen.