Chapter Eight

I had thought I was prepared for what Jax was going to say and how he was going to react but honestly, I had no idea. His anger was terrifying even though I knew he would never hurt me. He was pacing in front of me currently, screaming and yelling. Many colorful words and creative things he wanted to do to Derek.

I just sat there, staying out of his way and watched. After a few minutes, he stopped pacing. He just stood there, breathing heavily. He looked at me.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"For what?" I asked softly.

"That I made you feel like you couldn't come to me."

I shrugged, "I knew I could come to you. It's just when I do, I have to be certain that whatever you do is what I want to happen. And at that time, I didn't know if I wanted death and destruction to be the answer."

"And by now telling me, I'm assuming you've decided death and destruction is okay with you?"

"Eh, I guess we'll have to see where life takes us," I said with grin.

Jax came and sat down beside me, leaning against the tree behind us.

"I have a question for you?" Jax said.

"What's that?" I looked over at him.

"What is going on between you and Happy?"

I sighed heavily, "Nothing Jax. We're just friends. Why do you think there is something going on?"

"Because you guys are always together lately."

"I haven't been around him for the last two days, I haven't even been at the club. Besides, he's seeing someone. Or at least sleeping with someone else," I countered.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I saw him leaving the same motel I'm staying at with another girl."

"Do you like him?"

"I think he's a cool guy. And he does make me feel safe, but that's about as far as it goes," I lied.

Jax nodded, "Alright then, whatever you say."

I nodded, happy to end that conversation.

"Hey." I looked up from the magazine I was looking through at the bar. Happy stood beside me. I hadn't seen  him since the motel. Although I was pretty sure he didn't know that I saw him.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked, swiveling in the stool to face him.

He held out a phone to me, "I promised you I would get you a new one."

I took it from him, holding it in my hand.

"Oh well, thanks Happy."

"I already put my number in it," Happy said.

I nodded, "Good."

It felt so awkward talking to him, the pang in my gut coming back as I looked at him.

"Is everything okay?" Happy asked.

"Yeah, yeah," I said, turning away from him and leaning against the bar, "I'm fine. Why?"

"You seemed bothered by something," Happy commented, taking a seat beside me.

I shook my head, "No, no. Everything is just great. I told Jax what happened and I guess I'm still a bit emotional from that."

"How'd he take it?"

"As well as I expected. He promised to kill him in many different creative ways."