Chapter Twenty Four

"Wait until I stop the car at least," I groaned, putting the car in park. I turned off the engine and hurried over to the passenger side to help the stubborn man getting out of my car.

"I'm fine," Dad insisted but I shook my head, helping him into the clubhouse.

As soon as I opened the door there was an eruption of cheering and "welcome home". Bobby and Tig came over, taking over my task of helping Dad. They led him over to the bar, probably to get drunk. He needed to be careful on those painkillers.

I looked around. It looked like a normal weekly party, the only difference was the girls. Instead of Crow Eaters they had "upgraded" to porn stars. There were still some of the usual whores sprinkled about though.

I spotted a familiar one and my stomach dropped. I looked around for Happy but couldn't find him, that only made me more nervous. I headed back towards the dorms. I stopped with my hand on the doorknob, mentally preparing myself for anything I would find.

I took a deep breath and turned the knob, pushing the door open. I found Happy in there, but that was the only person. He was sitting on the bed, his back pressed against the wall. He didn't acknowledge me when I walked in. Instead he continued to stare at the wall across from him and drink the beer he had.

"Happy? Are you okay?" I asked softly. No answer.

"Hap?" I called his name out again, this time sitting on the bed beside him.

"Leave me alone."

I furrowed my brows, "What?"

"I want to be alone." Happy turned his cold gaze onto me. I felt my heart stop and like all the breath was kicked out of me.

"What's wrong Happy?"

"Just GO!" He snapped.

I frowned, "what is your problem Happy Lowman?"

"Please baby girl," he pleaded, "I just need some time alone."

He looked heart broken, completely destroyed. When I looked at his face all I could see was pain. I reached over and took his hand in mine.

"You know I'm here for you right?" I asked him softly.

Happy nodded, "I know. But I just need some time."

I stood up, getting off the bed. I leaned over and gave him a quick kiss before leaving the room.

Happy's POV:

I felt bad for snapping at Stephanie, I knew she just wanted to help me. But I didn't want anyone's pity, I wanted to be alone. I had gone to see my mom a couple days ago and she was only getting worse. She was so feeble and the doctor only gave her a couple more months.

My mother was my world, she was the one woman who had never abandoned me. The only person period for that fact. The idea of losing her was breaking me and I didn't want Stephanie to see that. I never wanted her to see me weak, I wanted to be strong in her eyes. Someone who could protect her and make her feel safe.

I took a sip of the beer, the liquid burning my dry throat. I grimaced at that feeling as I swallowed the drink. I sat there, trying to push the thoughts out of my head as I finished the drink. I pulled myself out of bed, dropping the bottle in the trash.

I headed to the bar for another drink.

"Hey Happy."

I looked to my left seeing Britney standing there, her hand on her hip. I groaned, turning back to the bar, waiting for prospect. I shrugged off the hand that she placed on my arm.

"Get lost," I grumbled, shooting a glare at her.

"You look like you could use some company tonight," she purred.

I shook my head, "You're wrong. And even if I did, you would be the last one I went to."

I grabbed a bottle from behind the bar, getting sick of waiting. I walked off, leaving Britney behind with her jaw dropped. I found Stephanie with her Dad on the other end of the bar.

"Can we talk for a minute?" I asked her.

She looked at her dad, a bit hesitant but eventually nodded. I took her hand, leading her outside.

"so what's up?" She asked, turning to face me once we were away from everyone.

"I want to ask you something," I said.

"What?"

"Will you go with me to see my mom tomorrow?"

Her eyes widened a bit, "Uh-yeah."

"You don't have to," I added quickly.

"No, i would like to. It's just a bit last minute," she said.

"Well I don't know how much time mom has left," I said softly.

Stephanie frowned and took my hand, "I would love to meet your mom."

I nodded, "I don't really feel like partying. Why don't we go back to my place and just have a quiet night?"

She smiled, "Sure."

Stephanie stood on her tip toes, leaning over and pressing her lips against mine. I wrapped my arms around her waist, returning the kiss.