Zeev

For a giant of a man like Stan Grace, Debbie's closets were very small, so he hid inside the restroom . After checking that Stan was properly hid, I left back to the living room. Luke shut the door hard and came with grimace spread over his face. He gave me a look of disappointment, which intensified the urge inside me to deconstruct his beautiful face.

"You would've realized by now Debbie, the reason behind my lectures. I was tired of doing it . I thought you would understand. But I was wrong." said Luke downcast by whatever Debbie did.

I didn't know how Debbie would've responded, but I was quite infuriated. Waking up after innumerable days with no memories of the past, would've driven anyone nuts. But Debbie was quite patient to reveal her concealed past. Blaming her for the accident was unfair. I decided to retaliate on her behalf.

"Though I slept for long, I'm tired Luke. Have you thought about it? I've been impetuous from the time I woke up but you fail to consider my feelings. I regret why I got this new life. It feels like I'm living the life of a stranger" I retorted. The last statement was the only truth of the day.

He ruffled his neatly combed hair and took a deep breath.

"I didn't want to hide anything from you, Debbie. It's your past. You have every rights to know about it. It's just..I'm not ready to face it. I've been building my strength and perseverance over the past three years. If I break everything about your past in an instance, everything inside me would crumble into ashes. I'm not ready for it yet." said Luke

"I understand. Tell me when you're ready . But just tell me one thing. What happened after my accident?" I said. I expected a negative reaction from him, but surprisingly he gave a thought to it.

"Both you and Della were missing after the accident. Your car was found in the River Thames. Rescue operations were carried out in the entire river. The hospitals around the locality were also checked but there was no sign of you and Della. I thought that..that" stammered Luke, "you might be dead." Luke stooped his head in agony.

I never comforted anyone in life as I felt I was the only one in need of comfort. Strangely I felt sympathetic towards that guy. I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't stop. Keep telling." I said

"Though I thought you might be dead, I didn't give up on both of you. I continued my search inside as well as outside Marylebone. For a year, there was no trace of your existence so I made up my mind that you both were dead. Then one day, I drove to Mayfair for a meeting with a publisher. Parking my car by the side of the road, I left to his office. After the meeting, when I was about to leave, I found you, sitting on the front seat of my car, unconscious. Though you were missing for a year, you were in good shape and well dressed like you were perfectly fine. Since that day, you've been sleeping. Doctor was baffled as your vitals were completely normal like that of a healthy person. Till now, your long slumber remains a mystery." said Luke like a typical story teller, maintaining the mystery hanging in the air.

"Della?" I said hoping to get a positive answer but he shook his head negatively. I found something peculiar in Debbie's past.

"Did you find Debbie in Mayfair?" I said

"Yes, but who is the Debbie you're talking about?" said Luke nonplussed by my reported speech. That wretched brain of mine kept forgetting that I was Debbie.

"Sorry. Grammar mistake. Where did you find me in Mayfair?" I said, escaping narrowly.

"I think it was Park Street" said Luke.

I knew my ears didn't deceive me. It was working fine until morning. But what Luke said couldn't be true. Mayfair Home Apartment in Park Street was the place where I've been living for two years. All those circumstances seemed to be coherent but I had not the slightest of ideas to connect them.