Zeev

'Just a hallucination because of drowsiness, nothing to worry', that was my thought on seeing things fading from my vision. But I began to worry, when I stood in an entirely different place which was bleached white.

I looked around to find what place I was in. I couldn't find anything as there was nothing except endless white blank space. Finally, I found a door, which I thought, must be the exit. So, I darted towards the door.

I held the door handle tightly, hoping that I would reach my room. Fortunately, light emerged from the other side on opening the door, and I stepped out relieved. But unfortunately, the door locked me inside a room which belonged to the same place. My hopes were buried into the ground.

 I knocked the door hard and even tried to open it using the handle, but none of it worked. Then I heard some noise, like a woman sobbing. I looked around the room and found a girl at a corner sobbing, burying her head into her knees.

"Excuse me" I called

 She lifted her face, which was swollen from crying and gave me a astonished look. I was horror-struck on seeing her as she was the Debbie Ingrid, who was supposed to be dead three years ago. My insides started shivering.

                      She got up and ran towards me. I thought she was going to attack me for revenge, as I attacked her very badly last time. To my surprise, she embraced me very tightly, breaking my ribs.

Unhesitatingly, I pushed her away, as I didn't like people having physical contact with me.She didn't seem to be appalled by my action. She smiled instead.

"Are you perplexed? What is imagination and what is reality?" said Debbie.

She was correct. The longer I stayed inside that place, the lesser became my sanity.     "How come.." I began, but Debbie interrupted.

"Who are you? Why are you disturbing my life? These were the two questions you asked last time, and then without any context, you assaulted me to death. I didn't understand why you did that Zeev Storm, but on experiencing the ravages of this place, I realized that one could lose his sanity enough to kill a person" said Debbie and she sat in a corner. I sat next to her.

"I am really sorry Debbie. I think I turned paranoid last time, as you said. I felt so remorseful for that act, though I thought it was a dream. From where did you know my name?"

"The place where you came from" said Debbie

"The place where I come from? But you were dea.." I swallowed the remaining words.

"Yeah, people thought like that, but I was half dead and half living. Did you search for me?" said Debbie

"Yeah. I was searching about your brother Luke and found that you, and Luke's girlfriend Della were dead in a accident three years ago"

"Did Luke have a girlfriend?" muttered Debbie

"Pardon" I said

"Do you know how did we die? Sorry, that's not the right way of asking . Anyways tell me whatever you know." said Debbie

"I don't know what happened exactly, but according to the information I got, you and Della were involved in a car accident. Your car fell into a river I suppose. Something like that."

"What about Della? Did she survive just like me?"

"I don't think so. No one knew that you were alive after that accident. I think Luke hid it purposely"

She thought for a brief moment, "However I think, there was no chance for me to live at all! How did I survive after that accident?" said Debbie.

Then some strange thought arouse in my mind.

"Do you know anything about river spirits?" I said

"They are myths. Don't tell me that river spirits saved me when I was drowning to my death" said Debbie

"There might be a possibility. Haven't you seen things staring at you when you walk along a river" I said

"You are an actor. So naturally people would stare at you wherever you walk" said Debbie

"Argh..I didn't tell about the people outside the river. I'm telling about the people inside the river!" I felt stupid immediately on uttering those words. I tried to convince her by making myself look crazy. What the hell was I doing?

"Zeev ,it's true that I've not been to a river since I lost my memories. But I'm sure that there are no people living inside a river. You must consult yourself a doctor." said Debbie

"Don't tell such things. I'm tired of hearing it." I said dejected.

"I'm sorry Zeev. I just said it for fun" said Debbie, dejected.

"You don't need to be sorry. It was just, I couldn't go back into my past. Last three years were really hard in my life. I used to black out frequently without any reason.I was taken to many specialists, took a lot of medicines, which made my life a hell. Though I was exasperated and wanted to die, something prevented me from dying. So for the past three years, my life was like yours, half dead and half living."

"Blacking out while acting. It should've been hard on you"

"Hard? It was arduous. Three films, that I was about to act were cancelled in a row. My reputation was brought down to the ground. I passed through many hardships in life that you couldn't even imagine, to gain my position back. A few days were going fine without any black-outs and again it happened. The last time I had a black-out, I saw you and something said that you were the main reason for all my problems which made me go all crazy." I said

"Even if I was in your position I would've done the same. Don't blame yourself. You're a good person." said Debbie and was about to place her hand on mine. She paused, thinking that I would push her arm away but I took her arm and placed it on mine.

"I think we talked a lot. Do you know how to get out of this place?" I said.

"Since this place is made of nothing, I wasn't able to find a way out, but I found the mechanism on which this place works" said Debbie

"This place has a mechanism? What the hell it is?"  I said anxiously

"The door over there, opens and closes, just on one condition. If you come in, I get a chance to go out and when I come back you get a chance to go out." said Debbie

"Did you see a lot of movies when you got out last time?" I sniggered

"You don't believe me? I can prove it. Since you've come in, it is now my chance to  go out."

"Sure. Go on"  I gestured,"Don't be discouraged when it doesn't open. We can wait for someone else to come in so that, we both could go out" I said sarcastically.

 She smirked and opened the door with a turn of the handle. I was embarrassed. Though I had a feeling of triumph, that she opened the door, I was a little downcast that Debbie was leaving. I didn't know why I felt like that. I've been used to loneliness, but this time I longed for Debbie to stay in a little longer. Probably that place had the ability of changing people's minds. She realized my miserable state as the mischievous smile from her face disappeared and her expression stiffened.

"Don't worry Zeev. I'll be back soon."  assured Debbie.

"Why would I believe you?" I said.

"I promise" said Debbie determinedly and vanished into the thin air.

The door locked by itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy new year my dear readers!!!

Let this 2017 create a lot of good memories in your life. Cherish your memories because Debbie knows how precious they were when she lost them.

Have a prosperous year ahead.