The Judgement day

The white room was as new as it was, when Zeev entered it for the first time. As Zeev opened the door, the room was radiating bright light, which blinded him. The light came from the door on the opposite side, which was open.

Zeev squinted through the light and saw Debbie lying on the floor, next to the door. He realized that it was half of Debbie's soul which he left behind the previous time, as Debbie was yet alive on the other side. But the blood and bruise on her hand had vanished.

Zeev got nearer to Debbie and the light from the other door pierced his skin. He felt like, acid was poured all over his body. In unbearable pain, he carried Debbie and turned back to the door through which he came. To his astonishment, the door had disappeared.

He knew his efforts were futile but Zeev's desperation made him to thrash the wall with his shoulder, in order to break it. When he felt that his right shoulder joint was broken and it could no longer serve its purpose, he started hitting the wall with his left shoulder.

Suddenly the burning effect of the light was gone and the room began to freeze. It sent chills down Zeev's spine, as the coldness made him feel that he was going to meet death.

"Do you want her very badly?" came a voice from the other door. Zeev was petrified. He turned behind, but he could see nothing in midst of the brilliant illumination. He was sure that he didn't hallucinate. There was a voice, but the speaker was nowhere to be seen.

"Who is this?" said Zeev, his body shivering in the cold.

"Me? I'm just a substance that regulates life and death. People call me with different names and I take all those forms, however they describe me." said the voice. The voice was cold and dense, which could make a grown up tremble. But it was neither frightening nor affectionate.

"What are you exactly?" said Zeev.

"If you are born into the world, I would've been your mother. If you are protected, loved and nourished, I would've been your father and if you're given education, I would've been your teacher.

On the other hand, if you are stabbed to death, I would've been the one holding a knife. If you die in a road accident, I would've been the one who drove you to death and if your food is poisoned, I would've been the one who poisoned it. All forms of life begins with me and all forms of life ends with me." said the voice.

Even in the tremor, Zeev was awed. He got down to his knees, made Debbie lie on the floor and clasped his hands.

"Please, let Debbie live and take me instead" begged Zeev

"Same old desperation" sighed the cold voice," Zeev do you know why you end up in this place while it is meant for Debbie?"

"A punishment for interfering with life and death?" said Zeev, with his head down. There was a loud laughter that echoed throughout the room.

"You don't know about my punishments. Those are the worst. You wouldn't endure it, even for a second. But I knew you were enjoying this place when Debbie was along with you. You both made this place into a lover's hangout.

I've seen such cases innumerable times. The desperation of a human being could take him anywhere. People who were not meant to die, but reached this place like you, always enjoyed it as they could spend some more time with their loved ones.

You would've heard about strange deaths, like a wife dying on hearing about her husband's death, a mother's death following her child's death and a sibling's death following the other sibling's death. Why such deaths occur when I didn't plan for it? It is because of their intense desperation to give up their lives and save the other one. Mostly both of them die, and rarely one of them goes out alive with their memories completely erased.

I don't have much time, so I'm making it short. Your bravery at the bridge, three years before and now, amused me. So I'll give you a choice. Either both of you can die here or one of you can get out alive. What is your decision?" said the voice.

"I want Debbie to live" said Zeev firmly, without hesitating or thinking for a moment.

"Hmm.." said the voice. Immediately, Debbie who was lying before Zeev disappeared.

The lights got brighter and brighter. Zeev couldn't endure the brightness. He closed his eyes with his hands and then everything went dark.

------------------------------------------------------------------------