Trapped in death

One side of his face was covered in blood. Zeev stood before the white door which wasn't white anymore. The door which was bleached white in color, turned grey and began to crack. Suddenly there was a loud wail from inside and it subsided immediately. Zeev recognized it as Debbie.

He was unnerved. With trembling hands he tried to open the door, but it was jammed.

"Debbie are you alright?" bellowed Zeev, working with the handle.

"Zeev. Is it you? Please don't come in. Go away" cried Debbie

"Debbie don't cry. I'm going to break open the door. Stay away from it" said Zeev and kicked the door, but in vain. He tried again, it didn't open. He kicked for the third time and finally it flung open.

The entire room was grey in color and the walls were scarred with crevices. On the opposite wall, a new door was formed. Beside it, lay Debbie on the floor in a pool of blood. She had a knife in one hand with which she had cut the other hand. Tears rolled down her eyes on seeing Zeev. Zeev ran to her.

"Are you mad? What have you done?" said Zeev, holding Debbie in his arms, weeping.

"You are really here. I thought, I was just imagining your voice." said Debbie in a half conscious state.

"I'm here for you. Why are you doing this to me?" said Zeev. Debbie dropped the knife and touched the wound on Zeev's head.

"Were you betrayed?" said Debbie

"How did you know?" said Zeev amazed

"I just had an intuition. Don't misunderstand Zack and Stan. Everything is happening according to our fate. Once you get your memory everything will be fine."

"What is happening to this place? Why are you like this?" said Zeev puzzled.

"I'm finishing what I started. Three years ago, when I was descending below the waters of the Thames, I came to this place for the first time, through the door which you entered. This is the place where dead souls come to erase their memories to go to their afterlife, through that door" said Debbie pointing at the newly formed door.

"The blankness of this room denotes that- to make our brain blank. Before I could reach this place completely, you did a grave mistake, you saved me. So half of my soul got trapped here and the rest half in my body. For an entire year, I stayed here trying to open any one of those doors. I was neither allowed into the world nor the afterlife. My entire memory was erased. I had no idea who I was. Finally, after a year, the door to the world opened. I didn't know that I had to sacrifice another soul to get out of this place. Since you made the mistake of saving me, death chose you to pay for your mistake. Whenever I stayed out, you stayed here as a clueless incomer, erasing your memories.

The first time I got out, I was in your room at Mayfair. I peaked out of the window and saw Luke. My instinct said that he was related to me, so I went and sat inside his car and then turned unconscious. That was the first time you had a mysterious black-out. For the next two years I tried to come out and succeeded, but only for very few minutes. So you had frequent black-outs. Without my knowledge, I was feeding on your soul like a parasite and gained the strength to wake up after three years.

Since we shared souls, at times you even ended up in my body. Sorry Zeev. I've been killing you for three years. I'm undergoing this punishment for that." said Debbie holding out her bleeding arm. Zeev didn't stop sobbing.

"Debbie it..it doesn't matter. Whatever you..you want take it from me. Please..please don't leave me." cried Zeev

"Even if I'm dead  here, I won't die completely. I just did this as a safety measure so that when you go out, you won't end up in my body nor I would use your soul anymore. Until I'm killed outside, I'll be alive." said Debbie coughing blood.

"Who tried to kill you three years ago, Debbie? Was it Zack? When I get out he's dead in my hands." said Zeev furiously.

"No Zeev. You've misunderstood. Zack has been protecting me till now. People might point anyone as the person who tried to kill me, but don't believe anyone except Zack. Promise me." said Debbie. Blood ran from her nose.

"Why are you asking me for this? Are you hiding something from me?"

"If you believe me, promise" said Debbie

"I Promise" said Zeev

"Now run out as soon as possible. This place will be destroyed once I'm dead here."

"No I won't leave you alone"

"Zeev, talk something that would make sense. If you go out you can at least protect my other half. Here our deaths will be of no use." said Debbie

"You would be fine right?" said Zeev

"As long as you are fine. I would also be fine." said Debbie. Zeev hugged her on the floor.

"I love you" whispered Debbie as Zeev came near.

"I love you too." said Zeev and kissed Debbie's forehead. He made her lie on the floor and walked towards the door.

"Zeev" called Debbie. Zeev turned behind, "Zack is not a murderer. His name is Zack Storm. He is your real brother" said Debbie. Those were her last words. Her eyes were wide open but there were no movement in them.

Debbie lay dead on the floor.

------------------------------------------