Return to the Void

It was like a dream, more like a nightmare, as no one were able to perceive what happened. Everything took place within a blink of an eye, giving no time or chance for anyone to react.

Della, who was held as hostage by the black hawk, kicked him in the groin. His fingers released Della's throat. Della used that opportunity, grabbed her pistol from the ground and shot him near to his collar bone. Simultaneously, the black hawk who had a fully loaded rifle in his hand, shot back at Della, directly at her chest and fell on the road, laughing. Before Della could hit the ground, Luke caught her. Della's eyes moistened.

"Sorry Luke, for leaving you alone, three years before and now..." said Della, before she became unconscious.

"No..Not this time. Please Dell." begged Luke, crying.

Patrol cars surrounded the bridge on both the sides. Policemen seized the gun from the black hawk and cuffed his hands. Ambulances arrived at the bridge in the next minute. Luke carried Della to the ambulance.

A young policeman with cropped hair, thin eyebrows, pointed nose and a clear-cut profile, walked casually towards them. He examined Zack, Stan, Zeev and Debbie with his brilliant eyes. Everyone remained silent and Zeev broke the silence.

"Thank you for your timely help, Inspector" said Zeev, holding out his hand.

"It's my duty Zeev" said the policeman, shaking hands with Zeev, "By the way, I'm James Cadwallader, Superintendent of police". Zeev's face became red.

"I'm really sorry. I mistook, as you look so young" said Zeev

"Call me James. I am young, just twenty-nine. Age doesn't matter. The person standing behind you became a Captain in the army at the age of twenty-one. He would've become a Major by now, if he had remained in the army" said James, smiling at Stan.

"How do you know this much about me?" said Stan

"Not only you. I know very well about each and everyone standing in this bridge." said James winking at Zack. Zack's hands began shaking.

"Do you want anything from us James?" said Zeev

"Nothing. I just wanted to thank you all for helping us find Taylor." said James

"Was that man's name Taylor?" said Zack

"Yes. The police department has been searching him for the past twelve years for murdering Calvin and Andrea Storm." said James. Zeev's eyes welled up with tears on hearing his parents name.

"We'll let you know why he killed your parents after an investigation. Till that, take care of yourself." said James and walked away.

"That's it? Am I not getting arrested?" blurted Zack. Immediately he pinched himself hard.

"Lets pretend I didn't hear anything" smirked James and walked back to the patrol car.

*****************

At the hospital. Luke was sitting in front of the operation theater with a swollen face. His shirt became red, in Della's blood. His eyes were dried up, that he couldn't cry anymore. Debbie comforted him. Luke, Debbie, Zeev, Zack and Stan waited before the operation theater, muttering silent prayers. After ten minutes a nurse came out. Luke stood up, wiping his tears.

"Are you all Della Johnson's family?" said the nurse

"Yes. Is she alright?" said Luke

"She has lost lot of blood. Is anyone of you here, AB positive?" said the nurse.

"I'm B positive" said Luke, disappointed.

"Me too. What about you both?" said Debbie looking at Stan and Zack. Both of them shook their heads.