Chapter ∞ Fourteen ∞

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

"I'm so gad you can stay," Vee said. "I mean it's terrible about your parents and I want to help you in any way I can." She said playing with the ends of her frizzy hair.

"I just want you guys to tell me everything, no secrets," I was done with all this hiding information from me. They were going to be my family, or the closest this to family that I would have.

"What do you want to know?" Vee said walking over to a book shelve filled with ancient looking books with spines the color of burnt trees. "We have books about eating, shifting, getting mates," hold the phone. Did she just say mates?

"Mates? What even is that? Someone your paired with to have baby wolves?" I was confused out of my mind. Vee grabbed a maroon book off the shelf and brought it over to the metallic coffee table that sat in front of me.

"When a wolf turns eighteen, it has reached maturity. Similar to humans?" She stated in question form. The book was opened to a picture of a wolf who was standing on top of a waterfall, just watching its surrounding. This picture was breathtaking, just imagine the real life image. She continued, "The wolf can then accept a mate, or sole mate. They are destined for each other and fate has brought them together to live forever in peace."

The next picture showed the same Wolf on the same waterfall. Only this time the wolf was joined with another. They both were nuzzled with each other, this picture was even more gorgeous than the last. "It's amazing. A feeling that never goes away."

"You and Charles?" I asked. It's amazing being destined for someone that you know that they will accept every part of you and forever love you.

She nodded and smiled to herself. "He is my everything, I couldn't have asked for a better mate." She continued smiling, reminiscing about the past.

"How does it happen?" I asked and she raised her eyebrows. "The whole finding out who your mate is."

"You just know when you look at him. You can see yourself with this person forever. You can feel that if they were to die, you would too." She sighed and looked at me. "It's really hard to explain, but you would feel that they are one with you."

"Wow," I said closing the book, "that's deep."

"Jason finds out in a couple weeks. That's why he was so worried when we found you. He didn't want any distractions." She looked at me with a sad look, "he's been working really hard to try to control the changes. He needs to have control by the time he has a mate."

So, the kiss we had meant nothing? I felt something. Not as strong as what Vee had described, but definitely something. "Can werewolves mate with humans?" I asked squeezing my eyes shut and dreading the answer.

I heard her draw in a deep breath, "It can happen, but it is very rare. I'm taking once every century. When it does the human mate is usually rejected by the werewolf.  The humans memory of their mate then is erased." I looked at her, she was starring at a picture that sat on a table next to the boom shelve. "My brother's mate was human. Their bond was deeper than any werewolf mate I have ever seen."

Jason had said his brother, Noah, and his mate, Harper, had the type of love you wished daily for. I guess Jason and I aren't meant to be, I mean it's already happened this century.

"He cares for you though, he's intrigued."
She said. I stood up and walked over to the door.

"I don't want my heart broken again, I can't handle that. I just lost everything. If the only thing I can be with Jason is friends, I'll take it." I walked out the room and made my way to the lobby. I needed space from all this supernatural business. I needed a break.

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

Hey fabulous people. Happy Wednesday. Half the week is over (break out dance).

If you like this chapter please vote, comment, or follow me. Your support means so much to me.

Love Always,

Darcy <3