Chapter 13

~Joakim's POV~

I see her hopes crash as I tell her my name. "O-Okay..." Zoey mutters sadly. I feel tears come into my eyes as I see the ones in hers, and I pull her into a hug. "Zoeya, it will be okay. I know how hard it is to lose someone like Rythian, I felt the same way." She smiles, then turns to look at me more closely. "Joakim, Rythian said he didn't have an siblings. How could he forget his own twin?" She asks. I simply sigh. "Did Rythian tell you about his father leaving him when he was young?" She nods. "Well Rythian and I were too young to remember when our parents separated, but our father took me with him, leaving Rythian with our mother. She never told him that he had a brother, but I was in the crowd when she was executed, I witnessed him lose control. And that's when my father told me that he was my brother. I tried to find him, but he had moved to Blackrock. Then I was present at his execution, and Ravs here found me."

She nods, my explanation was mostly true, and she believed it. I wish that Lewis would let me tell her the truth, but I can't. I will have to tell her secretly, but how? One day, I hope, but for now I am just Joakim. And as far as Zoey knows, that is truly all I am.

~Zoey's POV~

I turn to Ravs, and he nods. "We found him after the execution, crying. I asked why he cared so much for the murderer," I flinch at the words and Ravs pauses, shooting me a look before continuing, "and he said that Rythian was his brother, and that his name was Joakim." I nod, then my father puts a hand on my shoulder. I turn to him and he smiles. "Would you like for Joakim to be your new guard?" He asks. I turn to Joakim, and he shifts uncomfortably before looking at the ground. I smile. "Sure, I guess. He is as close to Rythian as I will ever get, I suppose." I say with hesitation. My father and mother smile, and Joakim looks up. "In that case, show Joakim to his room, Zoeya?" My mother asks. I nod, and Joakim follows me as I turn and leave the room. With Rythian, I grabbed his hand and pulled him down the hall. But Joakim doesn't feel like Rythian. He feels different, more formal. That may be because of his brother's death, I feel all too formal myself. But whatever Joakim is truly like, I know that he will never be quite the same as Rythian was.

~Joakim's POV~

Zoey shows me my room, the one that Rythian stayed in. Zoey leaves without a word, which is unusual for her. I lock the door behind her and go to sit on the bed, thinking. I tried to save his life, but he insisted on saving mine. I let my own brother die, he sacrificed himself for me. I see a familiar figure in the shadows and wave. The figure steps forward, and I frown, noticing his transparency. He simply shakes his head. "It doesn't matter what you did, I would have saved you anyways. So stop mourning and get back to life. May I ask, why haven't you told Zoey yet?" My brother asks. I shake my head. "Lewis refuses to let her know the truth, for some unknown reason. I think one of the guards that was killed was his old friend, Simon or something. He just doesn't like me, never has and never will." I say. My brother smiles and comes over to me, sitting on the bed next to me. "Well you did go from the streets to his castle, and you use magic. Do you happen to know why Xephos banned magic in the first place?" I smile and nod. "I might have an idea. He has a scar, hidden by his beard. It glows slightly yellow, I believe when he was a child he was attacked by a magic user, one with yellow magic. The magic scarred him forever, both in mind and body. So when he rose to the throne, he decided to use his power to eliminate his fear, by removing magic from the kingdom."

My brother nods and pulls me into a hug. "I must go to the Aether, I cannot stay here for long. But do not mourn me, and do not let Zoey mourn you. Brother, you have a life to live. You have people who care about you and you need to take care of them, especially Zoeya." "Zoey." I automatically correct. He smiles. "Zoey. She needs you, more than either of you realize. I wish you the best, brother. Especially in your love, considering the circumstances. Please, don't get angry. And don't kill anyone else, no matter how much you hate them. Goodbye, until the next world, Rythian." I nod along, smiling. "Goodbye, Joakim. May Notch be with you." He nods and disappears into the background of my room. Now, how to tell Zoey the truth...