Chapter 9

Zoey stares at me. "Rythian, what do you mean?" She asks timidly. I sigh. "Zoey, if Lalna gets me again, I won't be returning. He'll execute me immediately. But I still have 4 years, I promise to make the most of them." With you, but I won't say that out loud. She smiles, then someone bangs on the door. "ZOEYA!! RYTHIAN!!! LET US IN THIS INSTANT!!!!!" Xephos yells through the door. With a glance at Zoey, I open the door, allowing the king and queen to come inside. Lomadia closes the door, and I turn back to Zoey. "Now then, where were we? Oh yes, you were telling me that my life was a lie, and I was telling you that I won't live to be 19. Brilliant." I say, smirking under my mask. Lomadia's face is covered in shock, and Xephos just looks angry. "What has been going on in here?!" He demands. I smile. "Exactly what I said. Zoeya told me what really happened to my mother, and I told her that as soon as I turn 18, Lalna is going to have me executed."

At that, Xephos grabs my arm, pulling me out of my room. Lomadia closes the door, leaving Xephos and I in the hallway, and Zoey and Lomadia in my room. "Rythian, how much did you tell her?" Xephos asks quietly. "I just told her that I was most likely going to die in less than 5 years. She has no idea why, just assumes its for whatever reason he took me in the first place." Xephos nods. "Does she know about that?" He gestures to my arm, the one with the scar. I shake my head, and the corners of his mouth lift slightly. "Rythian, you do realize that when she turns 18, Zoey will have to choose her husband. And one of her choices will be Lalna." He says carefully. I nod. "May I ask, who are her other choices?" He thinks for a moment. "Prince Nilesy of Palinoda Kingdom, Prince Sjin and Prince Sips of the Auravale Kingdom, and Prince Strippin and Prince Benji of the Radkliffe Kingdom." I think about the group in my head. "6 princes to choose from, 4 kingdoms. Which one do you think she'll pick?" I say, calculating in my head as I speak. He ponders the question for a moment. "Nilesy or Sjin, most likely. They seem the most like Zoeya." I nod. "May we go in now?" I question. Xephos nods, and I open the door.

Zoey and Lomadia are sitting on my bed when we come in. "Lomadia, was what Zoey said true? That you didn't tell me the truth about my mother's death because of my status?" The queen nods slightly, and I frown. "Do you know why Lalna's father withheld the information of her conviction when she was executed?" Again the queen nods, and Xephos speaks up. "He didn't want anyone knowing that her execution wasn't legal, and she wasn't actually the killer." I flinch at the word killer. A killer is what I am, not my mother. "Thank you, Xephos, Lomadia. I must retire now, I will see you all tomorrow." They nod and leave the room. Zoey shoots me a look before leaving as well. I lock the door and walk up to my mirror, removing my mask. I simply look at my lower face, the ugly secret that is usually underneath my mask, for a while before tying my mask back on. I walk over to my bed and lie down, falling asleep almost immediately.

I run through the forest, away from the shouting guards behind me. Their uniforms mark them as Springfeld guards, Lalna's guards. I am older know, about 18. I run between the trees until I end up at Martyn's camp. Toby is there, waiting for me, and he is frowning. I run up to him, and he pulls out a sword, pointing it at me. I stop suddenly, and the guards surround me quickly. My hands are forced behind me, and I watch Toby's face as my hands are tied together. I am dragged backwards away from Toby, and the only thing I see on his face is anger.

I sit up in bed and look outside, it is still dark. What kind of dream was that?! Toby would never betray me like that, would he? He's one of my best friends, but I haven't visited him in a while. I'll go tomorrow. I lie back down, and am immediately overcome by a dreamless sleep.

The next morning, I am in the stables, preparing my horse for the ride, when Zoey comes out. "Rythian, where are you going?" She asks, handing Shadowfell an apple. "I'm going to visit a friend in the forest." I say simply. She smiles. "Oh, can I come?" She asks enthusiastically. I sigh and nod, and she disappears to get her horse, Flamerod. When she comes back, her horse ready, we set off. We arrive at the clearing, and I am immediately greeted by Martyn and Toby. Zoey is behind me, so they don't see her at first. "Rythian! We haven't heard from you in ages!" Toby exclaims as I dismount. "Rythian, where are we?" Zoey asks from behind me. I turn to se her dismounting her own horse. "Princess Zoeya! I didn't know that Rythian brought you!" Martyn says, bowing. Toby snickers and bows as well. Zoey smiles and runs over, Flamerod in tow. "I'm Martyn, and this is Toby. Rythian stumbled upon our camp on accident, but he knew Toby before he started working at the castle." Martyn explains. Zoey smiles. "And I'm Zoeya, but just call me Zoey."

We talk for a while, then I hear yelling and loud footsteps getting closer and closer to us. "Zoey, did you tell your parents that you were coming with me?" I ask. She shakes her head, and I sigh, turning to Martyn and Toby. "We need to get back to the castle, I'll see you again soon." I say, mounting my horse. Zoey mounts hers as well, and we ride through the forest, back to Blackrock Castle.