Chapter 22

~Rythian's POV~

I stare at Nilesy, and he sighs, running a hand through his hair. "We need to get you and Zoeya together again. The only way to end the prophecy, as stereotypical as it is, is a true love's kiss. A bonding kiss. A kiss to seal a marriage." I look down, staring at my hands. I can't marry Zoeya! She's a princess and I'm a peasant! Technically, I'm Nilesy's slave! Nilesy watches me as I think, smiling. I see a figure enter the room, and I look up. Nilesy smiles, waving him over, and my eyes widen. There, in a translucent form, is my brother, Joakim.

I watch silently as he comes to stand next to me, putting a ghost-like hand on my shoulder. "It is done. The princess knows of her role in the prophecy. Now we must get her here safely." Joakim says. Nilesy smiles and bows. "Good job, Joakim. You deserved better than death. But I must know. Did you save Rythian because of the prophecy?" Joakim shakes his head. "I discovered the prophecy courtesy of Ridgedog, and he told me my role in it.  I'm supposed to act as a messenger between you two and Zoeya until you can be reunited." He explains. I smile, and Nilesy nods his consent. "It is most likely better to meet here rather than around Xephos." He says. Joakim nods. "I'll talk to Zoey, she'll find a way to get here." He says, turning to me. "Brother, I wish you the best. I will be by your side through all of this, and I promise to warn you of danger. I just ask that you follow your heart and do what's right. And I know that you don't know the curse on Zoey and the other royals, and Nilesy swore never to tell. Zoey is the only one who can tell you, brother, so please be assured that one day, you will know. If she wants you to." At that, he disappears.

~Zoey's POV~

I am sitting on my bed, holding Rythian's journal, when Joakim appears again. I close the journal quickly, and he smiles. "My brother's journal. Found anything interesting?" I blush. "I haven't read it yet, it feels like I'm intruding." Joakim laughs. "He gave it to you so you could know him better! Well, I guess you'll have to read it later. For now, we must get to Nilesy's kingdom. You're father and the princes are gathering in Springfeld to attack Lisarpole and get Rythian. He is a slave to Nilesy now, his property. So the other royals can only take him or injure him with Nilesy's consent, or the consent of the people. And I'm afraid that the people have voted on his new master, as well. Zoey, if they get to Rythian, he will be forced to be a slave to your father, King Xephos."

I stand, grabbing my bag. "Let's go." I say sternly. "As you wish." Joakim says, grabbing my hand. I feel a strange sensation, and suddenly we are standing outside the stables. "I cannot teleport us farther than this, so you will have to ride. I will watch over you." Joakim says, disappearing from my view. I jump on my horse and ride through the open gates, down the road to Lisarpole.

When I arrive, there is a crowd of townsfolk gathered in front of the castle. I try to push through them, but with no avail. "Let the princess through!" A voice shouts. Joakim, I think it was. The crowd notices me and parts, and I ride through the now open path, right up to the gate. The guards let me past, and I dismount in the garden, running to the throne room. When I arrive, I see a horrible sight: Rythian, hands tied, standing behind a very angry Nilesy, who is shouting obscenities at my father, Lalna, and the other princes. I note that Benji and Strippin are standing off to the side, so I run to them. "Guys! What's happening?" I ask. The boys turn to me and smile. "Zoeya, isn't that your bodyguard? No matter, Xephos and the other princes want him, and Nilesy is refusing. Is it the prophecy?" Strippin asks. I nod, looking at their faces. "Don't worry, Zoeya. We know enough to know that we were on the wrong side, and as soon as we realized that, we stopped being controlled. We need to help Nilesy save Rythian, or this darn curse will be on us forever!" Benji exclaims. I nod, and the two boys smile wider. "Let's go. Follow my lead." I say. They nod, and I turn back to the action, running up to Nilesy and standing beside him. As I had hoped, the brothers follow, and Rythian and Nilesy look at us in shock as we stand in front of them. Nilesy soon joins us, and we all stand in front of Rythian. Sjin, Sips, Lalna, and my father only smile. "Oh, dear, what are you doing? This slave is mine by order of the people. Now, you useless slave, come here!" He yells at Rythian, who flinches. I step back, and the boys fill my place. I grab Rythian's arm, untying his hands. "Are you okay?" I ask. He nods, and I smile. "Can you use your magic to stop time or something?" Another nod, and he grasps my hand. His other hand shoots out, grabbing Nilesy, who looks surprised for a moment before nodding in understanding. He grabs Strippin, and I grab Benji. My father lets out a yell, but before they can reach us, Rythian's eyes glow purple, and the world around us freezes.