Chapter 12

I must have fallen asleep at some point, because I am woken up by a guard. He takes me by the arm and pulls me out onto a platform in the middle of the town. The execution platform. There is another platform, nearby, which has the royalty on it. Queen Nano and Prince Lalna are there, along with Prince Nilesy and his family, Prince Sjin and Prince Sips and their parents, Prince Strippin and Prince Benji and their father, and of course, Zoey, Lewis, and Hannah. All three of them are wearing sad expressions. My hands are pulled out in front of me and into two dips in the wood. My head is pushed into a larger hole in the middle, and the top closes down on me, locked on the side. My shirt is pulled off, and a whip cracks across my scarred back, causing a sting of pain. I scream in pain, trying to pull out of the stocks that I am stuck in. But I can't, so I am whipped more and more. I scream, and the whip lashes out again. I am facing the royals, and most of them look sad. Lalna, Sjin, and Sips all look happy, I don't know why. I am whipped until my back is in so much pain that I can't move. The executioner appears in front of me and I hang there, on my knees. He raises his axe, and I close my eyes. I feel a pain in my neck, then I am surrounded by light.

~Zoey's POV~

Rythian is whipped forever, screaming each time the whip hits his back. The executioner steps in front of him, raising his axe. "NOOOO!!!!" I scream, but it is too late. Rythian closes his eyes, and the axe come down, separating his head from his body. I scream and my father grabs me, keeping me from jumping over to the executioner's stage and killing him or myself. Rythian's body is removed, and I start to cry. My father carries me to our carriage, and we ride home. The ride is silent, other than my sobs. "Zoey, it will be okay. Don't worry." My mother says when we arrive at the castle. I run into the throne room and fall into my throne, crying. My parents follow me in, and I let my anger out on them "IT IS NOT OKAY!!!!! RYTHIAN IS DEAD!!!! HE'S NEVER GOING TO COME BACK, AND WE DID NOTHING TO STOP IT!!!!!" I scream at my parents. Exhausted, I cry silently, hiccupping. My mother pulls me into a hug. "Zoey, Rythian is in a better place. He will be okay, and so will you. Please, just move on. That is what Rythian would have wanted." She says. I nod, tears in my eyes, and walk to my bedroom silently. Rythian is gone, and I didn't even try to stop his execution.

I don't deserve to be a princess, when Rythian was so much better than me, and just a slave. With that in mind, I pack everything I need into an alchemical bag and open my window, climbing to the ground. I hit the ground and run into the forest, never turning back. If I had, I might have seen the arrow. If I had, I might have seen the danger. If I had, I wouldn't have had a piercing pain in my back as the point of an arrow pierced my skin and I fell to the ground.

I open my eyes to find myself in a tent, with a familiar blond face looking at me. He smiles and backs away, and I sit up carefully. "Martyn, what happened?" I ask, looking down. My lower chest and back is wrapped in bandages, under my shirt. Martyn sighs. "I don't know. Someone shot you in the lower back, I found you unconscious with an arrow in your back and blood around you. You nearly drowned in your own blood. I carried you here and patched you up." He explains. I nod, confused. "Martyn, Rythian is dead. He was executed." I finally say. Martyn smiles sadly and nods. "I know. Toby went to watch the execution, he hasn't returned yet." Just as he says that, Toby runs into the tent, tears running down his face. "Martyn, it was terrible! He was whipped and then hi-" He cuts himself off as he notices me. "Zoey? What are you doing here? What happened?" Toby asks. I frown. "I was trying to run away from the castle when somebody shot me in the back with an arrow. Martyn found me and brought me here." I explain. Toby nods, then turns to Martyn. "Martyn, I need to take Zoey to the castle. A guard found me, and said I wouldn't turned in as a slave if I got Zoeya to come back." Then he turns to me. "Your parents found someone they thought you should meet." I nod and stand, and Toby leads me out of the tent.

When we arrive at the castle, three guards come up to us and point their swords at Toby, who raises his hands. One guard grabs him, and I quickly stop the other two. "He came with me, convinced me to come back. This is Toby, he's Rythian's friend." The guard immediately drops Toby's arm and lets us pass. We walk into the castle, and straight into the throne room. My mother and father are talking to someone with Ravs and Teep, and I can't see the person they are talking to. My mother sees me and runs over, pulling me into a hug. "Zoeya, you're okay!" She exclaims, pulling away. That's when she notices Toby. "Who's this?" She asks. Toby smiles and bows. "My name is Toby, Your Majesty. I am Rythian's friend, I found Zoeya in the forest." He says. My mother smiles and turns to my father and the others. "Xephos, bring our guest over here, will you?" She says. My father nods and walks over, followed by Ravs, Teep, and finally, the mystery man. When they walk over, the mystery man finally reveals himself. He is tall, a little older than me, and has a black mask on his lower face. "R-Rythian?" I stutter. The man smiles, I think, and shakes his head. "My name is Joakim. I am Rythian's twin brother."