Chapter 21

I stare at Prince Nilesy as he laughs. "I used to have a good friend, a boy named Toby. I hear he is now your friend. He got in contact with me and told me about you and Zoeya. And I couldn't let you go through a life as a slave to Lalna. Say, why were you unable to use your legs when you first entered Springfeld?" He asks, suddenly serious. I hesitate, then gesture to my sleeve, which Nilesy rolls up. He sees the star-shaped mark on my upper arm, and I close my eyes, preparing for him to hit me. Instead, he puts his hand on my shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Rythian." He says, rolling up his own sleeve. There, right below his shoulder, is a star mark.

"All mages have these marks, even Xephos. I assume he paralyzed you so you wouldn't fight?" I nod, and Nilesy frowns. "Why aren't you speaking? Last time I checked, you weren't mute." He says. I frown, not that Nilesy can see it, and shift my hands so I am pointing at the desk in the corner. Nilesy understands and unties my hands, and we walk over to the table. As I had hoped, there is a quill and some paper there, so I start to write. 'A guard threatened me. I didn't recognize him at first, then I realized it was Xephos. He said if I spoke again he'd cut my tongue out, so I'd never be able to anyways.' I write. Nilesy nods. "I don't know what to say. Xephos really doesn't like you, does he..." He trails off, and I see an idea forming in his mind. "Rythian, do you have a brother?" He asks suddenly. I shrug, turning to the paper. 'I did, but not anymore. He sacrificed himself, when I was supposed to be executed. Switched our locations and died instead of me. His name was Joakim.' I write. Nilesy sighs. "You can talk around me, but not when we are around anyone else." He says. "Joakim saved my life again, after Xephos really did kill me." I say. Nilesy pales. "Xephos killed you?" He asks, worried. I nod. "Joakim brought me back to life." I say simply. Nilesy grabs my hand, pulling me up. "We are going to the library, there is a book you must read." He says. His grip on my arm tightens, and he pulls me out of the room and down the hall.

We arrive in the library, and Nilesy runs straight for a bookshelf in the corner of the room. He points to a chair, and I sit down, watching him rifle through the books. He grabs one and takes a seat next to me, opening the book on the table in front of us. "The prophecy, I thought it was just a fairy tale..." He mutters, flipping to a page and pointing at the top. "There. Read there, and that will explain everything."

A long time ago, the king and queen had 5 children, 3 girls and 2 boys. Each child was given a kingdom to rule: Springfeld, Blackrock, Lisarpole, Diratea, and Railebro. The children married, had kids, and grew old. Their children lived on, for many generations in peace. Then there was an argument. The three current kings wanted to marry the same princess, and they fought over the winner. One man went to a witch for help, and she cursed him, and his family. For every generation onward, the families would alternate between good and evil. Parents are good, children are evil, and vise versa. But the witch knew that the princess the men wanted was good, so she added a twist. In a generation, long after the fighting men had died, there will be one princess and many princes, all vying for her attention. All but one. That prince will have to find a boy, from the streets, who would win the princess's heart and end the curse. But the princes and the princess's father will stop at nothing to eliminate this boy.

I stop reading and look at Nilesy. "I am the one prince who does not want Zoey's hand. Xephos is not trying to kill you because of anything against you, just because the prophecy mandates that he does. Same with Lalna and the others. Nano, Lomadia, Minty, and I are on your side, we need you to marry Zoey. Rythian, you are the boy in the prophecy."

~Zoey's POV~

I walk away from Rythian, only turning back to wish him my love one more time. Then I return to my father, who smiles. "You have made a good decision, Zoeya. He is a bad influence, and you must marry a prince." He says, emotionless. I simply brush past him, running to the castle and into my room. There is frantic knocking on the door, but I ignore it, crying. The knocking leaves, then I suddenly feel a hand on my back. I look up, surprised, to see a familiar person. Then my heart sinks as I see his transparent body. Joakim.

He smiles when he sees me, and I can't help but smile back. "Zoeya, I am happy to report that Nilesy bought Rythian. He is in good hands, for now. Zoey, has your mother told you about the prophecy?" He asks. I nod. The prophecy of the princess and her lover, ho will end our family's curse. Joakim smiles. "Then this will be easier. Zoeya, Nilesy is the last prince. The one who is supposed to save the boy from the streets, who is Rythian. The boy who stole your heart. And Zoey, do you know what that makes you?" He asks. I am silent as everything snaps into place. Everyone's hatred for Rythian, the fact that I'm the only princess. Joakim sees that I figured it out and smiles. "Yes, Zoey. You are the prophecy's princess."